Carbon Monoxide Alarm Went Off!!!!

Started by Donna@Rockin' Beads, April 05, 2009, 09:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I'm on my second session with a new 18kg Propane tank and my carbon nmonoxide alarm just went off. I've had this set up for well over a year and that's the first time it's sounded. I've left it for the moment but would really appreciate some pointers on what might have caused it and where I should check.

Thanks guys...

Kaz

Have you checked it's not just the battery alert?
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I don't think it was that. The instructions say a beep a minute for a low battery and this was constant.
I'm back in now and it didn't go off again, even after I wafted it about the studio to see if it would pick up any nasty fumes  ;D
I'd originally placed it behind my speakers and I wonder if there was simply a build up of carbon monoxide in that small space.  ???

Amber

As it's a new tank, have you checked for leaks?  :o

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Quote from: Spookyjewel on April 05, 2009, 11:51:37 AM
As it's a new tank, have you checked for leaks?  :o

I'm not quite sure how.  :-\ Other than wafting the CM detector around everything...

Dragonfire Glass

the detector won't detect unbunt propane  :)

Shirley

Isn't the CO2 what you get as the torch burns? So it will be a ventilation issue rather than a leak?
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Amber

Quotethe detector won't detect unbunt propane 

Durrrr...call that a blonde moment!  ::) :D

Dragonfire Glass

yes, CO is a by product of burning propane inefficiently, usually you get CO2 & water
the CO is formed by insufficient oxygen
could be you need to turn your oxygen up a bit

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Aha!!!! I've been playing with my Oxycon levels and may well have turned it down too low.
Thanks guys.
I'll keep an eye (ear) on it. I'm sure Sally mentioned a gas detector in another thread so I'll go and have a hunt for that too.
:)