What can't I do with a HotHead

Started by JaySpangles, March 22, 2009, 02:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theflyingbedstead

Lauramay is selling her hot head and bulk connector kit on this thread...
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11921.0

Charlotte x

Dizzy Di

Hot heads are great for beginners, they are noisy but they are cost effective, and great to learn how to control molten glass.  I had a hot head for years, but started on bulk not mapp gas, I still have my hot head on bulk in the shabbin (shed) at home, for the rare moment i am home and want to make a bead, they only thing that I never managed on a hot head was to get a good result from the silvered glass like double Helix and norstar silvered glass but everything else I managed. 
If you really want to pick someones brains phone MARTIN he can talk for England and knows all the pros and cons other than just the cost.
I wont sell my hot head as I still enjoy using it ;D I have nortel minor + oxy con at studio, and about to order another torch for teaching and may even set a hot head up on bulk so students can try the difference (but not my hot head that's mine)  wont share the hot head but will share the minor.
Look at the beads you would like to make do these include silver glass?  Hope that helps.

Dianne ;D

Redkite

Hi!

I agree with everything said so far. You can't go wrong with a Hot Head, but:

a) Everything takes longer
b) You can't easily adjust the flame to oxidising or reducing, which makes it more difficult (but not impossible) to do "fancy" glass reactions.
c) It's not hot enough to melt borosilicate glass or to do fusing (where you evaporate gold/silver to get various different metallic effects)
d) It's noisier (although the oxycon partially cancels out the quieter torch)
e) The flame is less well definied, which makes it more difficult to heat just part of your bead.

I was perfectly content with my Hot Head (I've used it for about 10 months), but trying out an oxy torch was a revelation and I don't think I'll use the HH much now I've got an oxy torch.

Mand

I got a HH on bulk out in my shed. It is mega noisy, sometimes not as quick as I'd like, but it doesn't cost me much and it just about keeps me sane.  :)

flowerjasper

my HH and i have been together for nearly 18 mths we are still very happy!!
the best advice i had was go straight to bulk ( you can use the connectors if you up grade to a duel fuel)
its a great little torch for learning the basics which will stand you in good sted .
also you can find out if lampworking is for you without spending out on a oxycon  ;)
having said all that i do have a big girls torch and am saving for an oxycon as i feel  HH and i have reached the end of our rainbow , i feel i have gone as far as i can,although i will keep it,
as far as what you cant do with it.... toast the top of creme caramels, use it and hear the kids argue (a plus point i find!)
unplug drains or strike raku, tra la
have fun what ever you decide,
sandy x

Redhotsal

I still like my hothead despite using the minor burner for about nine years. Had the hothead for about a year when I first started. I still use the hothead - I keep my hand in on it as I teach so it's important to be able to work with whatever torch my students have. I think that if you are good at beads on the hothead you are going to be good on a dual torch. Doesn't often work the other way round. The hothead tends to teach people a certain amount of patience. But then - you tend not to get so many "smeary" beads from a hothead user aswell.

Don't forget - that if you start off on hothead and bulk propane you can use the regulator, flashback arrestor and hosing on the propane side of a dual gas torch so you don't have to spend out on these items a second time if you do decide to upgrade. Don't bother with Mapp gas though. Waste of money.

dangerousbead

I like the fact the HH is noisy, as I'm working in the cellar it means if anyone wants me they have to come to me, because I can't hear them yelling down the stairs. It's a great excuse. ;D

Dee Dee

Quote from: dangerousbead on March 25, 2009, 11:22:39 AM
I like the fact the HH is noisy, as I'm working in the cellar it means if anyone wants me they have to come to me, because I can't hear them yelling down the stairs. It's a great excuse. ;D

That's true.  However, I didn't usually hear them coming and I would jump out of my skin!

merlin65

i considered a HH when i very first thought about doing glass , but after i read the cons such as noise and mapp gas prices i was put off . my interest has now been renewed after a chance add of a bead maker on facebook and i am now researching technique etc . while doing this i thought HH would get me up and running quicker , but decided that oxy-con would be bought soon after because i,m not so patient so i,mgoing the full Monty and straight into oxy .

yeah i know its a big investment and yeah i got to wait a while , but it gives me chance to read and hopefully take a class or two along the way . i,m lucky because i already had a hobby room so space isn't an issue also so i figured why not just setup the big boys toy straight off  , i know i,m probably mad but what the hey lol

JaySpangles

I'm going to repeat my thanks to everyone who has inputted (did I just make up a word?).
I am going to get a HH - having looked at what you clever people can do with it I hope it sets me off in the right direction and allows me a little time to save for the big boys' stuff.  At least I will have something mobile to move into the kitchen when my little shed is too baltic to work in!

I live pretty close to Tuffnell Glass so my plan is to go there to buy my kit, and get help with setting up and setting off.

I am really looking forward to seeing some of you at Flame Off.  I hope you will be wearing identification - i.e. FH badges!

J x

;D

Kaz

I'm very happy that I have a hot head when I go and stay with my friend in Australia - in fact I made this bead when I was there in October on the hothead and it is one of the ones I am most proud of:

As you can see, working on a hot head allows you to get much more precision in your work, which is helpful for when you upgrade and have to work a lot faster.
The only downsides - noise, speed and a propensity to reduce some glasses (giving a silvery or murky appearance)!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

dangerousbead

If you're going to use Mapp gas in a cannister rather than bulk, you can have my Fireworks torch, it masquerades as a Hothead, has an ignition button, which is useful, but the torch only really works on cannisters, once it's switched to bulk it's as slow as the slowest thing from the slow thing shop. It would be a free start, you could always send it back when you switch.

Dreams of Glass

I love my hot head  ;D agree with dangerous bead
Quote from: dangerousbead on March 25, 2009, 11:22:39 AM
hubby has to flash the cellar lights before he comes downstairs as he's nearly given me heart failure before today, I don't mind the noise, I have all the Harry Potter books on ipod and that keeps me quiet  :D

looking forward to trying some different torches at the flame off but actually a bit reserved about changing, I've got very comfortable with my HH  :)
Ingrid                         
xx