What can't I do with a HotHead

Started by JaySpangles, March 22, 2009, 02:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaySpangles

Hi all

I'm sorry if this request covers already covered ground, but here goes:-
I'm a wannabe beadmaker and still dithering between a hot head or going the full hog with an oxycon/nortel minor set up.  If I go for the cheap option what won't I be able to do that would be possible with the full monty.  Am I likely to get bored within a couple of weeks with the restrictions of my HotHead purchase? 
I realise that I will probably make 100's if not 1000's of rubbish beads to start with so is it better to practise with the less expensive set up?
I am a fairly obsessive sort of person, but don't have a vast amount of spare time.

I'm going to Flame Off and hope to have made my decision by then so I can buy all my kit.

Janet
(wannabeadie)

garishglobes

Hotheads are noisy and not brilliant with some of the silver glasses that strike, particularly.
I had a Hothead for just over a year and it was great. I still miss it occasionally, just out of nostalgia! I would say it would be much more than a couple of weeks before you got to feel the restrictions - more like a few months... there are lots of people making fab beads still using a  Hothead after some years.
You could always try both at the Flame Off and decide then?

dangerousbead

Good question and a good answer, still using HH after a long time, it's not brilliant for really intricate stuff but a great workhorse.

Shirley

There are things I can't do without a hothead. Lots of effects with silver leaf that I just can't recreate using my bobcat.

The hothead is a great torch for teaching you patience. I used mine for well over a year.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Trudi

I think that the hot heads are great for starting on - they don't get too hot and give you a chance to get the feel for the glass without it melting too fast. And with some silver glass they're actually work easier for a beginner! You can use it with a bulk set up that you can then just switch over to a dual fuel torch no problem.

You would struggle with really big beads, but then when you're starting out, you're not likely to be making huge beads!! For the price of them, I'd say a HH is a good torch to start on!

Lush!

I am a totally obsessive type of person, and my completely honest answer is I lasted with my hothead for about 4 weeks, then I couldn't wait any longer and had to upgrade!

I'm not very patient and just wanted to melt glass quicker (and quieter!).  

BUT I would still recommend starting with a hothead, because a dual fuel torch and oxycon is a big investment.  I would certainly recommend getting the hosing so you can use propane with your hothead though - and you can use the same hosing if you change your torch.

Oops, just read Trudi's answer and I agree with everything she says!  ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

TiaraHelen

Also depends on your space.  I have a hothead and set it up in the kitchen when I want to use it, put it away again in a window seat.  Definitely couldn't find the space to stash an oxycon!  Definitely not bored with learning after a year, have made quite big beads and hollows etc, slightly annoying that I can't hear the radio while it's on though.   Haven't tried a better torch, looking forward to experimenting at the FlameOff.

Start on the hothead with bulk kit and the only money you'll waste if you do get frustrated with it is the cost of the hothead itself and the postage, because you'll use everything else with a bigger torch anyway. (amounts to only about £40).  You could probably even sell the hothead on here eventually.  Believe me, that extra's a drop in the ocean against all the other money you'll spend on glass and tools! 
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

Trudi

I've still got my HH and a can of Mapp gas and I'm thinking of selling it at Flame Off! (not really comforatable about posting the gas you see!)

clasicat

Quote from: shine-on2 on March 22, 2009, 06:21:30 PM
I've still got my HH and a can of Mapp gas and I'm thinking of selling it at Flame Off! (not really comforatable about posting the gas you see!)
Yup I'm selling mine too
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11631.0
I think the main fault with the HH is the noise
Claire x

Rosenquartz

I've had a HH for a while now. Hadn't used it for about 18 months until I took a class on a Minor/Oxycon set-up in January and was convinced I'd be frustrated going back to the HH. But I was so keen to just get on I did use the HH and have since bought a bulk kit for it. I have been planning to select a "proper" torch at Flame Off (and still may) but I have read recently about a few "proper" bead makers that still use a HotHead - Sarah Hornick is one, and I've seen some great beads on the S&T on here that were made on a HotHead - so I may stick it out a while longer.

I'd strongly recommend getting a HotHead and bulk kit (like may others have suggested) - it really will be just the cost of the HotHead itself that's sort of wasted. But I've read that many people keep their HH as a spare and in case friends come to play.
Rosenquartz

garishglobes

..or if, like me, you live in a power-cut prone area  :)
We've done well this year, but even so there have been a couple of days where I very nearly hooked the old HH up, just to do something while the electric was down...
Yes they are noisy, but on the plus side you can make beads in the same room as a teenager listening to the latest hits.  ;D ;D

beadmonkey

If you have any doubts about whether a HH is in anyway limiting then (as I was told when I asked the same question) have a look at Sarah Hornik's website. She produces such amazing stuff using a Hothead! http://www.glassbysarah.com/index.html

Some people complain that the HH is noisy. I must say that I don't find the noise to be a problem. I imagine it depends a lot on where you intend to do your lampwork; if you try and use a HH in your sitting room whilst others are trying to watch tv then i can see that could be problem ;D

Roy :)

Les

Holly Cooper also uses a hot head torch... her work is beautiful :O)
http://www.hollycooper.com/AvailableWork

JaySpangles

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the diamond input.  It definitely looks like the HH is the way forward.  Many thanks for sorting me out.

Cheers
Janet
wannabeadie (now gonnabeadie!)

Dee Dee

Thanks for that link Les, her work is beautiful!

I would also say, that yes the HH is noisy - however, now that I am more set up - I have the quiet noise of my dual fuel torch, the oxycon chugging away and my overhead extractor going for it - I think all together it is just as noisy!