oxycons? 1 or 2?

Started by bubblefizz, February 09, 2007, 09:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubblefizz

im confused on oxycons, some people use 2 on a minor, would 1 be ok?

Caroline

most people use 1, you'd only need 2 or one with a higher output if you wanted to do Boro

Dragonfire Glass

one is plenty to be getting on with!  :)

bubblefizz

Caroline

yeah as far as i know there the same level as minors

maybe you should ask Quintin to be sure, he knows more about them

glassworks

especially a minnow...

it has lower pressure requirements than a minor, and less than the betta... it was originally designed for single oxycon use burning domestic (ie low pressure) gas... we have run the minor, the betta and the minnow on our oxycon (from martin) and they have all been absolutely fine.. that said, more oxy is never a bad thing - although adding a second oxycon needs to be done carefully to match outputs so that one is not working harder than another... there was a whole long post on this topic on LWE - i'll see if i can find it..

;)

Caroline

ah Q, i know you'd come in and tell us more

i was gutted when you started selling these after i bought my minor, i may have been tempted to get one otherwise

bubblefizz

Hya Quinton  ;D i emailed u on ebay  ;D
i cant understand why lampwork etc.. said i needed 2 oxycons  ???

glassworks

bubblefizz... marcie from bethlehem has just signed on here today - you can search for firelady and get her opinion.. she is the source, if she says it needs two then believe her!!!! she works with them all day, and has a lot more experience than me!!!

:D

bubblefizz

okey dokey, youve convinced me  ;)
i want one LOL

BeverleyH

I must say since I bought my second oxy con - I wanted to run two Minors at the same time and a Major on it's own - I use them both together when I'm working on a Minor.  Don't 'arf make a difference.

When I teach one to one I usually just use the one as that's more than enough for a beginner to cope with (and when using most 'soft' soft glass).  I do find it really slow 'though when I swap over to demo.  It's what you get used to I guess.

Is Quinton stocking oxy cons now then?  Must take a gander.

Bev

glassworks

we have a supplier of oxycons - but they will have to run in our studio for a while more before we are prepared to put our names to them... the one we priginally bought from martin has been reliable and faultfree - and if we decide to supply they must at least match this standard! we will let everyne know how the trails work out!..

in the meantime, marting is the guy in the uk with which we have experience and can recommend... he stands by his oxycons, and the price reflects his level of service..

;)

BeverleyH

I agree Quinton, he's a gem.

I just wondered whether we'd ever find a supplier in the UK with the big oxy cons for running the big torches with ease.  In the States (no surprise there then...) you get a choice of sizes.  Can't really ship them over here at that weight (and electrics of course).

Maybe one day someone will sell them.

Bev

Shannon

QuoteI just wondered whether we'd ever find a supplier in the UK with the big oxy cons for running the big torches with ease.

Red Rooster up here in Aberdeenshire is the European distributor for Onyx industrial oxycons.   They come in many sizes, and big prices too.

BeverleyH

Yeah Shannon, I spoke to them a couple of years ago and their cheapest, which wasn't much more powerful than Martin's, was £950!  Yikes!
It goes without saying that when we say we want a choice of larger oxy cons, we also want them cheap as chips! ;)

Yeah right... ::)