'Staining' silver wire

Started by sparrow, March 09, 2009, 08:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Just a quick question, not sure whether it's in the right category. I made this set

....I didn't list it, because the big lentil cracked on me, but I also haven't re-made it, because the silver wire has browned some of the surrounding glass - you know the effect. It's not hugely serious, but it kind of detracts from the icy look I was after. I have, however, seen beads on other people's sites that have been listed with this browning. So I guess my question is, is it worth doing the third lentil and listing the set? Or should I leave it alone and cut my losses...the colours are CiM Larkspur & Lauscha Clear.

Thanks!

Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Trudi

I have found that some colours tend to "brown" - and pinks is one of them  - I thought it was me at first, but I still think they look great! So go ahead and list.

BTW - antique clear does it - but pale emerald doesn't ... go figure!! Perhaps we need a silver wire on Wiki??

sparrow

Thanks Trudi! My first batch of Antique Clear didn't, but the second did........go figure indeed!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Kaz

My latest batch of antique clear fumes from just using SIS and looks a bit like fake boro. Unintentional but still quite pretty!
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

astringofbeads

I spose at the end of the day, it's down to what the customer wants. If they like the beads they'll buy them, but I know what you mean, I would be the same. However the buyer doesn't know how the result came about so it's ok really :D ;D

Josephine

Could it be happening sometimes and not others because the balance of your flame oxy/propane is slightly different?

sparrow

Thanks all, you've got me convinced - I'll make the 'missing lentil' next time I torch and let the customers decide  ;D
Sabine x

Kaz

If it's any help I bought some etched lavender ones with silver wire from Julie last year at Nantwich and there was some discolouration because of the wire but I did not find it offputting - I assumed it was just "normal".
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!