Main Menu

Bullseye on HH?

Started by Mand, March 06, 2009, 06:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mand

I'm still a relative newbie, been going almost a year but still feel VERY much an amateur.  I've just been looking at some lovely colours in the Bullseye range and discovered that Bullseye is 90 coe.  I work on a hothead torch, would Bullseye work well in a HH flame? I've only used 104 Effetre, CIM and TAG (Tibet)(which turned out like poo on a stick :-[) so far.

Expert advice would be much apprecited. Thanks. 8)

turnedlight

I've done it in the past..
kathryn

garishglobes

I have too. I don't think it is a problem, because although the COE is slightly less, Bullseye make the glass a bit more workable to make up for it. I love Bullseye - the colours are gorgeous and the glass is just that little bit easier to manage, somehow, than some of the 104 COE. It just seems to work nicely. :)

Scubeadoo

I started with this using an old glassworking torch that my husband was given years ago, it works pretty well with a hothead and there are some lovely pinks and purples in the range.
The Lustre rods are fun too - using my old torch which has a reducing flame I can get the blue lustre to look like haemetite.
www.etsy.com/shop/Scubeadoo
www.folksy.com/shops/Scubeadoo

Flyingcheesetoastie

I've generally found Bullseye to be slower working on a hothead due to it being a harder glass, but I wanted to query the TAG glass too, isn't that borosilicate?  If that's the case, then I doubt a hothead is getting hot enough to do anything but turn it to poo!

garishglobes

TAG do 104 COE as well as borosilicate - though I would think that, like other silver-rich 104COE glasses, the reducing ones would work better on a HH than the strikers.

Mand

It was 104 TAG I used. I only bought a couple of rods and just didn't like it.  :P

I love pinks and purples too which was what drew me to the Bullseye, but if you say it can be slow I may give it a miss as I really hate slow glass on my HH, it takes soooooo long to work into something usable.
:-\

soulsilver

Hi There, I am on a hothead and I have been using TAG silvered glass, its great, I am completely in love with Taxco silver turquoise, lake geneva and deep purple, I have only been working with the hothead for about 8 weeks, these are some of the beads I have made using TAG

Deep Purple

Taxco silver turquoise

I got some great advice on how to work with this glass from Sean at Off-Mandrel, also if you look at the glass descriptions on his site it tells you how best to work the glass, I made a note of this and kept it beside me ( I have a shocking memory!)

HTH

Sally

Trudi

Although I'm using a minor I find that most of the BE glass melts just as easy.

Lloki

I've used BE on a HH  - it can be done (just takes a little bit longer)

Soulsilver - love your beads, especially the deep purple one - yummy ;D
Cerri