New to my minor torch - how should the flame look!

Started by ebj, February 08, 2007, 09:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebj

Hiya- wehey - my torch is up and running and leak free! I'm a happy lady. I thought I'd have a quick go and didnt bother to prepare any extra mandrels thinking that the 12 I had would be enough and i got through them in about 15 minutes! I wasnt making anything fancy - just spacers to get a feel for the new torch.

I was using clear turquoise and its been changing colour to a muddy brown. Also noticed some little bubbles in the glass too - am I cooking it to much? I know some of you fountians of knowledge will know what I'm doing wrong - is it too much propane? too much oxygen? The flame also feels really hot - thats may sound daft - of course its hot- but I mean it feels very hot compared to the HH, is that right? How should the flame look? Bushy? Orange? Blue? Sharp? Bright? Arrgghh  - I could hardly see what I was doing, and kept melting the hell out of the glass without meaning to!

Please somebody tell me I'll get used to it - I dont want me and my minor to get off on the worng foot!

Emma x
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com

Mary

Result! No stopping you now, eh?
Sounds like too much propane, or working too near the torch face. You are looking for a narrow blue flame, whisper quiet. The little flamelets in the middle are the candles, they should be short, and blue or tipped with white, but no yellow. After my roaring HH I was sure I had it too low! But it will be hot. I set my oxy-con to just below max, about 4.5 and leave it there.
Does that make any sense? Lol!

ebj

phew - thanks for replying Mary - I was worried no one would see this here. i think that makes sense - but i think I'm scared of turning the propane off by accident. I think I have WAY too much propane on, as I have a very bright flame, and very yellow. Its really frustrating as its been ages since I had a go and now I feel like I'm back to square one! It still hasnt been even 3 months since I started, but it feels like an age ago and I feel like I'm standing still. no wonder though I havent been able to practice! I was so tempted to rig up my HH - very silly. I must persevere!

Thanks again

Emma x 
Emma

pixiewillow

I find that transparent tuquoise and teal burn really easy.  I need to work it way up at the top of the flame.
www.pixiewillow.etsy.com
www.pixiewillowdesigns.com
A mans idea of multi tasking is breathing & blinking at the same time.

Mary

I felt like that too, but you will get used to it verrrrrry quickly, and love how adjustable your flame is. Try sitting there with your lighter in your hand and turning the flame down and up, see how far you can turn it down for a pinpoint flame without it going out. It is quite a delicate change in your knob. But you need to turn the oxy up (just leave the valve wide open and adjust at the machine) or the propane down to get rid of the yellow. I'll see if I have a pic of my flame. Okay, it's not very clear, I happened to have these snaps of Becky having a go!

littlegiggles

Quote from: ebj on February 08, 2007, 10:12:35 PM
I feel like I'm back to square one! ... I feel like I'm standing still. no wonder though I havent been able to practice! I was so tempted to rig up my HH - very silly. I must persevere!

When I got my minor Martin warned me that I might feel that way but hang in there and it's faboulous

ebj

check out the little lampworker! Cool - the piccies have helped - my flame was way to big and too orange! Thanks for all the encouragement - I'll keep at it.

Emma x
Emma

BeverleyH

Quote from: ebj on February 08, 2007, 09:41:22 PM
Hiya- wehey - my torch is up and running and leak free! I'm a happy lady. I thought I'd have a quick go and didnt bother to prepare any extra mandrels thinking that the 12 I had would be enough and i got through them in about 15 minutes! I wasnt making anything fancy - just spacers to get a feel for the new torch.

I was using clear turquoise and its been changing colour to a muddy brown. Also noticed some little bubbles in the glass too - am I cooking it to much? I know some of you fountians of knowledge will know what I'm doing wrong - is it too much propane? too much oxygen? The flame also feels really hot - thats may sound daft - of course its hot- but I mean it feels very hot compared to the HH, is that right? How should the flame look? Bushy? Orange? Blue? Sharp? Bright? Arrgghh  - I could hardly see what I was doing, and kept melting the hell out of the glass without meaning to!

Please somebody tell me I'll get used to it - I dont want me and my minor to get off on the worng foot!

Emma x

Hi Emma

Congrats on your new torch.  There'll be no holding you back now!

One thing that I'm wondering about from what you said - you have got proper glasses haven't you?  Not the plain thingies people use with the HH?

Just wondered from your comment about not being able to see.....  ;)

Bev

ebj

Hi Beverley - I did wonder about the galsses, they are the ones I got with the starter kit from Tuffnells glass, ACE 202 Satety Glasses?

Emma x
Emma

Caroline

Emma, those glasses are fine

i was the same just a few weeks ago when i set up my minor,this is how i get the flame right on mine:

turn the oxycon on at the unit not the torch, then turn the propane on at the can

then turn the propane on at the torch, light it and turn the propane up or down so the flame is approx 7inchies, then i turn the oxygen on at the torch

then i look at the flame and turn the propane usually down so the candles near the torch are approx 1cm and then you've got your flame

and my propane reg is a 10 and my oxycon is at 4.5

i know what you mean about starting all over again, i made frit spacers for about a week while i got used to it but i can tell it's hotter now, i love using transparent blue but it's so stiff that i haven't got the hang of melting that colour yet, the others are fantastic

BeverleyH

Quote from: ebj on February 09, 2007, 09:04:21 AM
Hi Beverley - I did wonder about the galsses, they are the ones I got with the starter kit from Tuffnells glass, ACE 202 Satety Glasses?

Emma x

Emma, as Caroline says, those glasses are fine.  It's the clear plastic ones that people seem to use with HH's that I was worried about as they really are not to be used with a dual fuel torch.

You probably just need to get used to balancing your propane and oxygen.  Caroline's explanations (as always) are spot on.  You'll be fine.
It's a bit scary at first but you'll soon be doing it in your sleep (as it were!....  :o)

Bev

Caroline

Quote from: BeverleyH on February 09, 2007, 11:28:42 AM
Caroline's explanations (as always) are spot on. 

awwww thank you, it's nice to know i'm useful sometimes and not just for asking stupid questions ;D

BeverleyH

Always my dear, always!  You're a voice of reason in an otherwise crazy world.

Where's that up-chuck smilie?   ;D ;D ;D

Bev

ebj

Thanks to you lovely ladies and that piccy from Mary I managed to make some beads tonight WITHOUT sooting the glass. I had WAAAAAYYYYY too much propane last time - it looked like a flame thrower - no wonder i couldnt see a thing, I was blinded by the orangeness!

Feel like I have fogotten everything, and have gone back to making spacers, though did make some lentils that may be worth a show. I LOVE making faux boro and even forgot how to make them! I'll have to dig my notes out!

Thanks again

Emma x
Emma