Millefiori fusing

Started by AngelaK, February 20, 2009, 07:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelaK

Hi
Does anyone have experience of glass fusing Millefiori flowers to form glass cabochons?   ???  I want to start making glasss cabachon/silver rings. Any advice would be welcome!
Ange ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

Hi Angela, do you mean fusing them together or using just a couple as features on another piece of glass? As long as the glass is the same coe it shouldn't be a problem but I know some millefiori go fuzzy and bubble like crazy

julieHB

Most commercial millefiori is COE 104, so make sure you get some flat glass of that coe. martin tuffnell stocks some, and hobbyland does a lot:

http://www.hobbyland.it/eng/rep/20/210/
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

AngelaK

Yep want to fuse several together, using a clear base would be good, but need some advice on firing too. Quite new to glass fusing, not sure how well these fuse, they seem a little delicate to me! :-\

Pat from Canvey

I've fused 1cm pieces of 104COE glass rod onto 104 flat glass to form pictures. I would think doing the same with millefiore would be the same. Here's an example,

I used Morreti rods for this fish. It was a trial piece. I would say make sure all the space is filled and if there is any sort of picture with a background, fill in the background too with clear or whatever. If it's just cabochons, here's another example

AngelaK

Hi Pat
thanks for tip about spacing I haven't thought of that, using the rods must be very similar, with that said I'm just going to have to go for it! Will let you know how things turn out  ::)
cheers  ;D
Ange

Fired Silver

Hi Ange

I've done a few pieces like that.  Plain colour backing, with millefiori then fused to the top.  Sorry for the rubbish photo!

Have fun!

Becci
x

Zeldazog

Quote from: julieHB on February 20, 2009, 08:18:01 PM
Most commercial millefiori is COE 104, so make sure you get some flat glass of that coe. martin tuffnell stocks some, and hobbyland does a lot:

http://www.hobbyland.it/eng/rep/20/210/

Julie thanks for this link, I have been looking for COE 104 flat glass for the same reason!

Angie I did some experiments for part of a uni project, I will post a pic if I can find!

karnege

Hi,

I ordered some from this american website, delivery was quick, cheap and COE 90.  Worked very well with bulls eye glass.  Would recomend the site.

http://www.rockymountainglasscrafts.com/servlet/the-FUSING%2C-SLUMPING-KILNWORK-cln-90-COE-Glass%2C-Frit%2C-Inclusions/Categories

Simon

Zeldazog

Oh wow, even better, I have mainly bullseye, so getting COE 90 murrini makes more sense than the other way round

Thanks Simon, I will check that out,

AngelaK

Thanks for the photo Becci  ::) the plain backing does help with the colour combo. Thanks for website Simon, love the blue ones!
Cheers  ;D
Ange

karnege

Your welcome.  Heres one of the results my girl friend got.

AngelaK

Nice! Got mine melting away as we speak!   :)  Fingers crossed. Will let you know how they turn out  ::)

AngelaK

Here is my first attempt!  ;D

What do ya think?  ???

Ange