Ventilation (again)!

Started by Dee Dee, February 18, 2009, 03:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee Dee

Just a quickie, I've done a search but not found an answer - I've just taken delivery of a range hood to go over my torch, and have been measuring the wall etc.

In the installation instructions it recommends it being 65cm above the cooktop - seeing that the torch is off the worktop, and the flame is higher still - how high do you recommend it being from the worktop?

Cheers!
Steph xx

Dee Dee

Well, you must all be busy, but don't worry. My next door neighbour popped round and ended up putting it up for me - at around 70cm off the worktop.  So hopefully it's height is OK (too late now!!).

It would be a useful bit of info though for anyone else who's going down this path.

Steph x

Annelyse

Hello Steph,

I don't exactly know how high mine is but I had lowered down as it was not working very efficiently. It was a lot better once I had it lowered down. (I will go and measure as soon as I can get my hand on a measuring tape, I can't find it just now.
The effectiveness of your ventilation depends on many variables (size of ventilated area, size of outlet, power of extractor fan...).
I tested my ventilation with an incens stick and It did not look great...so I added sides and a lip to reduce my ventilation area and now the fumes get sucked straight up...so what I mean to say with all this waffle is that if you think that your ventilation is not working well at this height you can always try to add sides (baffles) to your hood.

Dee Dee

Thanks Annelyse, yes please, let me know!

I'm going to nip out tomorrow and get some incense sticks to try it out - as well as some ducting to go along the wall!

I am also hoping that it might take away some of the heat I feel sitting behind the torch - I always come away with rosy red cheeks!  (But of course, it's still hot here, so that's a major factor!).   8)

Annelyse

I have measured it and it is situated 52 cm above my worktop. It came down a good 16 cm from the position it was in before.
Here is a picture of what my perspex box looks like although it is a bit difficult to see on the picture.

Helen G

I'm a bit confused with the ventilation issue. Can anyone tell me how important it is please? I have a large kitchen extractor behind my torch. I hold my breath when I make SIS incase the extractor's not good enough! Are you supposed to have an extractor for any type of glass/lampworking??? ??? ???