Main Menu

GT Bobcat with Boro

Started by Ian Pearson, February 12, 2009, 12:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Pearson

Had an enquiry on using a "Bobcat" with borosilicate tubing and wondering if anyone here has used it for working 11mm diameter tubes? Publicty says "small scale boro" but what excatly is small scale? Person can use propane and probabaly oxy in cylinders.

Thanks in advance

Ian

♥♥Tan♥♥

Hmm I can work quite large tube on my betta using just an oxycon, it takes time though, I can use the very small boro rods (4mm) comfortably but anything thicker just takes too long. I should imagine tanked oxy would make it flow faster The bobcat is a hot little torch but it depends on what they want to do I suppose?

Steampunkglass

Not sure if this helps, but getting 7mm rods to melt ok on one oxycon with a Minor, I always thought it was too small a set up but I've come across other people who do nowt but boro who use a similar set-up. It's not fast, bit like being back on a hot head at times, as long as I keep the rod going in the flame it tends to be ok.

Come to think of it I did get a 10mm tube to melt ok last week although it did take a little while, I think that's getting to the edge of comfortable working but I'm still fairly new to boro and so not 100% sure what 'normal working' is.

garishglobes

I have a bobcat and 1 oxy and love it for boro. I can make beads up to 15mm across without hassle.
I have got a thick rod of black boro, at 9mm, and while it will melt, it is slower. Its not tube though, which particularly if clear, should be quite a bit quicker? I'm sure Sean at Hamilton-Taylor was telling me he reckoned he could blow ornaments from boro tube on one before Xmas... but it could've been the xmas spirit making me hear things :D

Shirley

The only boro I've tried melting on mine was a solid rod of clear, about 5mm thickness to make punties and it was fine. I know my torch can go pretty hot as I had absolutely no problem melting a mandrel the other day :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Hamilton Taylor

11mm tube? Is that all?? Oh, for heavens sake...no ambition, man... ;)

A bobcat and an oxycon will cope with 11mm. I use 2 oxycons, and the bauble story is true, honest. They were off 20 or 22mm medium wall, I think...Certainly no problem with bottled oxy.

Sean

Ian Pearson

Nice one Sean. LOL. Yea agreed 11mm nothing, oh did I mention the bore? Bores are important eh!!! Actually enquiry originated from school technican in Aberdeen for work on vaccuum and ampoules. I would have suggested  a handlamp but this person found ( ????) a Bobcat !

I would have thought, assumed that bottled oxy beats oxycons every time for BIG stuff. I never heard of using three/four oxygons together yet. Last night I was heating/shaping 75mm dia med wall using oxy at 2 bar. Of course 75 mm still not big LOL  ;)

Ian

Hamilton Taylor

Well, it's too big for me...(the 75mm)

Bottled oxy beats oxycons every time, absolutely, and would easily cope with 11mm. That's what I meant.
Whether the Bobcat will go sharp enough for the detail he/she wants is another thing. Best just to try it, I s'pose...

Cheers Ian, see you soon. :)

Sean

fionaess

Just wanted to say what delightful baubles you have Sean  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !