Please recommend me an airbrush;)

Started by Obim, February 11, 2009, 10:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obim

hi peeps,

can anyone recommend a good airbrush for use with enamels? I would like one that can do both broad areas and detailed work and one that does not clog continually.  Oh and due to cost one that utilises the canisters ::)

ta for any help

Obim

Zeldazog

I haven't got the link to hand, but if you search for the "Badger" airbrush site, there was a chart on there about the suitability of all the models for different types of paint/etc

If I find it, I will post it up later.

Steampunkglass

Many, many, many moons ago when I was stuck working in an art shop we alot of people raving about the Aztec airbrushes that had come in, which were plastic/nylon. As all the working bits were kept in the nozzles there was a lot less to go wrong, as there wasn't the needle that ofen runs the length of the body and risks clogging, also you could quickly change nozzles and dump the whole thing into cleaning fluid at the end of the session. Also they didn't seem to need a thousand different nuts and washers to get lost. However once a nozzle was dammaged you had to replace the whole lot. We had some people that loved them, and some old time airbrush artists put their noses in the air at them!

I guess with many things it does come down to personal choice, as a low cost option I'd be tempted, but if you are just doing a very occasional bit of work I have seen occasionally model makers kits with a canaster and jar arrangement, and they used to go relativley cheaply. It would be worth prowling the model maker shops for those as they are a cheap option prefered for model cars/boat etc where it's simple coats, you can mask off areas for detail.

Obim

Thank you peeps,

After a litlle research I now have a badger airbrush.  This is working a treat in terms of delivering my enamel as I want and the tip I got back from my other post on using gum arabic means it stays in place ready to fire ;D  Still however having probs trying to get very subtle tints that using the enamels I bought.  The problem seems to be that they burn off at the higher temperature when I slump work at abot 870c. >:(

Pat from Canvey

Perhaps do your slump first then apply the enamels and fire at the lower temperature.

Zeldazog

Great idea Pat, you genius!

No reason why that wouldn't work at all - Obim, think you said in your other thread that they are supposed to be fired at 580 C is that right?  So that's just above (Bullseye) annealing temperature, but certainly not hot enough to affect the glass shape.

Flyingcheesetoastie

You can get high fire enamels from Pearsons Glass by Degussa, I use these when I'm screenprinting and then slumping the work.  Which enamels are you using at the moment as different brands vary in temperature and colours of course burn out at different temps too!

Rachel x