Extractor hood - what type is yours?

Started by LittleMoo, December 22, 2008, 12:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleMoo

I stopped lampworking when I became pregnant as my extractor hood isn't the best. I did the incense test and the smoke just blew straight back in my face!

I've been comparing mine against others on the market and I can see why now. Mine was only around £40 and has an extraction strength of 205 m3/h, but for £150 I've found one that's 800m3/h!

Does anyone know what 'strength' theirs is? How much did everyone else pay for theirs?

Hotglass28

Hi Moo, I got mine on ebay.  Its a hydroponics fan which could suck up the ocean if you let it.

Mine is the 8'' turbo RVK/Systemair and I bought a controller with it too, its over 850 cms (cms?)   The fan cost around £90 I think with a 3 pin plug on it.  And the controller cost £30.  I think these prices where with postage.

I can hunt out the web link for ebay if you want it.

Denise
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

LittleMoo

Thanks Denise, I hadn't thought to look on ebay but there's some great ones on there! Off to have a proper look now...

June

That's interesting, thanks Denise.  I must get something sorted myself, too. 

Les

Rachel

Mine's the same as Denise's - got mine from Ebay too.  I think it was £90 including next day delivery.  It's a damn good fan - a bit too good sometimes.

Denise - you said you got a controller.  Is that to vary the speed of the fan? 

kerensky

I have a similar type of extractor too, mine is from screwfix,  it works very well and sometimes sucks in flying glass bits as I work. I know that you can control the speed of flow, but I just switch mine on and leave it, it is also not too noisy.

I did try and order one from ebay, but they sent me a filter instead, (don't ask! ) and then the wrong fan ,and then finally I got so pi**ed off I asked for a refund. I then sourced the same fan from screwfix  with free next day delivery, the rest is history.

June

Looks like a good buy - though I want a smaller unit if poss. 

Hotglass28

Is that cbm. Cubic Metres per minute?  If it is then its not powerfull enough (I think)

I think its cms.  Cubic Metres per Second. You need.  I'm pretty sure its the per second, ???  please someone inform me 100%  ???

This is the controller I bought for it, it should slow it down some what so you don't get sucked into space ;D   AND it should make it less noisey.   I have yet to fit it so I'm in the dark on how well it works.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAN-CONTROLLER-SPEED-CONTROLLER-HYDROPONIC-VENT-1-5-A_W0QQitemZ170281978769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item170281978769&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Denise

LittleMoo

Quote from: Hotglass28 on December 23, 2008, 02:20:06 PM

Is that cbm. Cubic Metres per minute?  If it is then its not powerfull enough (I think)

Denise, was this question to me?

My existing fan is 205 cubic metres per hour, so I figure that if i'm getting one that's 700 cubic metres per hour it's going to be a lot better.

I wouldn't have thought any fan would be able to suck up 700 cubic metres in a second without taking everything in the room with it  :D

Hotglass28

Oh sorry yes it was for you.   I wasnt sure on that one.  That would be a funny thought, everything sucked through the fan :D

My memory is pretty bad so I couldnt remember.  Some things do get stuck in my head and others fall straight out.  Its usually the good stuff which gets thrown out of me brain  :'(

Are you setting up a new studio?

Hotglass28

Oh sorry yes it was for you.   I wasn't sure on that one.  That would be a funny thought, everything sucked through the fan :D

My memory is pretty bad so I couldn't remember.  Some things do get stuck in my head and others fall straight out.  Its usually the good stuff which gets thrown out of me brain  :'(

Are you setting up a new studio?

LittleMoo

Hah, I know the feeling Denise, my mind is mush lately (i'm blaming it on being pregnant  :D)

We've just moved house and I now have a brick built workshop that was used for woodworking by the previous owners so i'm going to set it up as a glass studio. I should have plenty of room to fit that exhaust hood and vent the fumes outside. Just need to sweet talk my DH into setting it up for me over Xmas (hopefully!). I've already got a minor and an oxycon so they'll be easy to get set up again. Could do with a better system for storing my glass though than the jam jars they're currently stood in  :D