Main Menu

Troublesome Turquoise!

Started by Trudi, August 25, 2008, 10:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Trudi

I've been asked to make some large beads in turquoise - and I'm having the predictable trouble of it going silver!! Argh!

When I do a small test bead it seems ok - and I'm not sure if the trouble comes when I use the press - ie when it goes from hot to cold. I have tried to keep t really hot once pressed, but I do need to add decoration to it. I have tried outting it in an oxygen rich flame, and adjusting the regulator on the gas - but no joy!!

Short of encasing it - has anyone got any ideas, hints ror tips please!!

Ta muchly!

Redhotsal

Soak it in Cillit Bang overnight (I've heard full strength coco-cola also works). This should remove the silver.

Trudi

Quote from: Redhotsal on August 25, 2008, 10:06:52 PM
Soak it in Cillit Bang overnight (I've heard full strength coco-cola also works). This should remove the silver.
I'll  give it a go - thanks Sal. Can I do this before I anneal (Batch), or is it best to wait till after??

Les


Redhotsal


Dragonfire Glass


Trudi

Cheers to you all for the tips!!  ;D

sublimekate

Thanks for asking that question, I have a HH and this happens to me a lot, with lilac too, it's particularly annoying when making a larger beads, as you're heating one part of it the other side is rapidly going silver, hate that.....got coke off to have a go.

Lush!

Troublesome Turquoise ?

I thought you meant Vicky had been naughty!!   ;D ;D


www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

BeadyBugs

Hehehe!  So did I Julie.  ;D

A quick dip (5 secs) in etching solution, rinse in water and wipe works too depending how heavy the reduction deposit is.  It can very slightly take the shine off the glass, so try it on a sample bead first to get your dip timing right.  I had trouble with my dragonfly beads doing this - used to drive me potty.

HP x
Helen P

turquoise

Quote from: Lush! on August 26, 2008, 09:27:59 AM
Troublesome Turquoise ?

I thought you meant Vicky had been naughty!!   ;D ;D

Yes I read that and thought flip, got in a panic for a min!!!!!! ::) ::)


www.morellobeads.co.uk

afina

As Helen said, this is reduction. Try working further away from the head of the torch (Hothead) and work in an oxyrich flame (maybe turn the propane down a little bit). I see you tried this, maybe even more oxygen needed??
Gooc luck!
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at