Main Menu

Transparent Red Glass

Started by shallybags, August 12, 2008, 01:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

shallybags

Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum and started lampworking in November last year.  I'm having a great time and enjoying myself immensely, except for transparent and translucent reds.  The striking red glass is fine, it behaves itself really well but my other rods that come already red are not so good.  I'm getting all sorts of browns and also some beads have red inside and amber outsides.  The rubino oro glass is not working very well either, it has an unpleasant murky cast.

I'm using a nortel minor burner with an oxygen concentrator and propane tank.  Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Shallybags

Trudi

With the rubino it's best to work higher up in the flame – ie further away from you

afina

Hi!
If you get browns, you work too hot. If you have red inside and amber outside, you didn't heat the glass evenly. You have to heat the bead so much that it is all amber, then let it cool a little bit and then strike it to get the colour back.
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

shallybags

Thank you for the advice,

I suspect that I work too hot, I'm a bit impatient to get the glass to melt.  I'll try working a couple of inches further out.  I'll also try striking the glass to get the colour back.  I'll let you know how I get on.  Thank you both.

Shallybags

Trudi


Wishing Wells Glass

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in real quick!

I have always had similar problems with both reds and rubino oro.  Now I use CiM's (Creation is Messy) Sangria and Cranberry Pink and WOW what a difference!!  The Sangria -does- still get the red center/amber outer but I found that taking it out of the flame for a few seconds to let it cool down and then putting it back in gets the red to really pop.  PLUS both of these colours are just soooooo gorgeous and I think they're miles better than any other reds/rubinos!!  Of course that may be just me  :D  (And, no, I don't work for CiM.. lol)

If you can't get your other glass to do what you want using everyone else's advice, have a go with the CiM colours.  They may work wonders for you too!

Love,
keiara

shallybags

Thanks Keiara,

I've tried CIM Sangria and Bordello in the past but never got past the "Oh its amber  :( stage".  I'll have another go as you suggest.  I don't know if I've got any cranberry pink.  You're right about sangria though, it is a great colour and one of my mum's favourites.  Hopefully now I will be able to make some beads for something for christmas for her.

Talking about other great CIM colours, I've recently tried Rose Quartz and it is really pretty when used in a scale pattern design with white.

Shallybags :)

Wishing Wells Glass

I am soooo in love with Sangria that for about a week I made practically nothing but strawberries!!  Big strawberries, little strawberries, micro strawberries (fit 2 to a 5p).  I made enough to sell a LOAD of 'em and still made myself a bracelet, pendant and earrings!!!

I could just stare at the rod alone for ages!  Hope the advice helps.  And if it's still not working, give me a shout.  I'm happy to help you whip that red into shape.. haha.

OooOOo Rose Quartz!  I was drooling over it the other day.  I keep saying to myself that it's too pricey just for a trans pink as I already have a stash of Blush that sits there doing nothing as I begrudge using it due to its price!!  I'm terrible that way.  I should really just suck it up already and have a play.  I might have to be 'bad' and grab some Rose Quartz as the name alone makes me love it!

Good luck with the Sangria!

Love,
k
x

Trudi

Go on , have a play, you know you want to!! More of a waste sitting there not being used!

shallybags

Get stuck in and use it all up.  My Hubbie always says to me, you've already paid for it, so now it's free.   ;).  The Rose Quartz is not just a transparent pink, it has a lovely smooth, cool pink translucence that is both pretty and grown up.  It behaves beautifully too - white on RQ will start to ruffle at the edges if you really heat it up, don't know if that's Rose Quartz or just white.  Anyway treat yourself.  (and no, I don't work for CIM)

Shallybags

Wishing Wells Glass

Stop, you're making me want to be bad!!  LOL!  I treated myself to some Heffalump but didn't indulge in the Rose Quartz.  I will next order.  It sounds glorious  :D

Thanks for the corruption.. uhh, I mean, info!  ;D

k
x

Trudi

Do it!!!!

I bought a rod of rose quartz so I could have a play - not tried it yet but it looks beautiful!