Which white glass should I buy?

Started by Dee, August 20, 2008, 09:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dee

Mornin' beady peeps  :)
I need some white glass and was wondering which one people prefer, I think I've seen something somewhere about CIM Peace being preferable to Effetre.....?

Lush!

I prefer Effetre, I find Peace a bit "grainy".



www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Shirley

Effetre is cheaper but can be a bit scary because it melts very quickly. If you are using thin stringer it is easy to burn it away completely.

I love Peace. Haven't found it grainy at all, but I love the more silky texture that CIM has. It melts more slowly as it's a bit stiffer and gives a lovely solid opaque white. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Lush!

I think "grainy" was the wrong word!  I love the silkiness of CIM too - I kind of mean I find Effetre white a smoother, flatter, less reactive colour, but Peace went a bit streaky for me, a bit like Vetro odds.

This is Effetre white and CIM Hades



And this is CIM Peace and CIM Hades




Too much information?!  ::)


www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Dee

Not too much information at all, thanks Julie and Shirley :) I would obviously like a flawless white, but as I'm hopeless at stringer control I think I'll give the CIM a try - I likes slow-melting stiff glass, I does  ;D

*rowanberry*

I know peace was designed to be a stiffer white and the equivilant of an "intense white". I did hear on the grapevine that it would bleed and feather on superheating like intense black, but have yet to try it.

Julie, have you sent those pictures to CiM? I reckon they would be interested to see the differences.
Claire

Lush!

Quote from: *rowanberry* on August 20, 2008, 10:24:56 AM
Julie, have you sent those pictures to CiM? I reckon they would be interested to see the differences.

Yes I have - and yes she was  ;)


www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

beadysam

I am one of those strange people that love Anise White. Its shocky, but if you are aware of that, its not a problem.  It is a little reactive to some colours, but that creates a whole new colour palette and some great effects.  The whiteness is a little more `off' white than standard pastel white too - but that is not a problem for me at all, it really depends on how snowy white you need your glass.  Anise is much stiffer than pastel white so is far easier to work with, especially sculpturally and in stringer form.  Its also much less likely to do that disappearing act that pastel white can do when used thinly on clear.

Shirley

Little tip if planning to use white stringer. Encase it in clear glass first and then pull out into your stringer. :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

garishglobes

Shocky would be the word with Anise white!! There's always Vetro white as well, though I'm not sure this is much different to Effetre?

turnedlight

I quite like odd cotton and effetre. :)
kathryn

Billie