using transp & dicroich = cracks?

Started by bubblefizz, August 15, 2008, 11:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

silverlemon

Hi ya.

These look like compatibility cracks.
I do a lot of dichro, and the only time I ever got this effect, of the crazing glass was when I accidentaly combined a 94 coe dichro with Efettre or vise versa, anyways, the encasing peeled off and crazed. It's a great example to show my students what incompatibility looks like!

I always work into the kiln when I use dichro, as you're dealing with a layer of metal (the colour on the sheet) which has a different coe from the glass. It could be that the different coe of the metallic layer on the dichroic glass has caused the cracking, and that annealing as you go would solve the problem rather than batch annealing.

I have never had a problem with encasing using clear glass, however much I use, but I use Bullseye with my dichro as i prefer the colours in the 94 range. I use sheet that I cut, rather than the pre-fused stuff. (ie I don't use Effetre with Effetre dichro, but Uroburos or Bullseye Dichro with Bullseye)

Let us know how you get on.
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop

bubblefizz

thanks sarah for the info!
Ive just got some more dicro this time its defo is 104  ::)
will i be ok encasing with lauscha?

Redhotsal

#17
Angie - I should try a test bead with each of the clears you have - (if you have several). I've found 104 Dichro is fine with Effetre/Vetrofond. Not actually tried it with anything else as I don't do a lot of dichro, but I agree with the others that looks like some sort of incompatibility.

Yes, using dichro can make the bead bigger and bigger however, the clear dichro can be used in such a way that the clear base it sits on can actually be the encasing. Didn't explain that very well - but to be honest this was a real Eureka moment (or Duh! what an idiot I am moment for me). Normally, I would wrap a base of clear then lay the dichro over the top (shiny side out) and then try and encase that again. Much easier and smaller to make the first wrap and then lay the dichro over it with the shiny side in. It encases itself this way and is much smaller. Hope that makes sense.

Shame it has happened - they were beautiful beads  :(

Modified this to say: I am quite willing to believe that I am the only beadmaker in the world not to realise the self-encasing properties of clear dichro - but if any one else wants to own up to this aswell please feel free so that I am not lonely  ;D

bubblefizz

I got ya Sal  :D i dont have any other clear i only have lauscha  :-[
im finding it a struggle using dicro but i know it needs ppp  ::)