Kiln kissed beads

Started by The Tartan Trout, April 22, 2012, 09:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

The Tartan Trout

For the umpteenth time I have kiln kissed beads. I have a Promethius 7 and do have a bead rack in it. I put the beads in on the rack, but eventually have to move them and pile them in order to get more in. I thought I was leaving them long enough so they wouldn't mark but obviously not. It garages around 510-515, could this be the problem? I would love to invest in a Maxi, but really can't afford it just now, but neither can I afford to waste time and glass. Some of the marks are so little so most people wouldnt notice them, but I know they are there and so immediately confine them to the orphans pot.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received :) x

turnedlight

When you put the bead in, do you hold it for a few seconds for the glow to go off? I do this, rather than waiting for the glow to completely go outside of the kiln, which risks cracking, I put it in still slightly glowing so it's now in the nice hot atmosphere and then hold it hovering until I think it's cooled enough.
I garage on 525, I don't ramp up at the end, I just leave it half an hour after the last one goes in or sometimes longer with a big bead, then ramp down. I don't even use a rack in there, just lay them down on the kiln shelf on the bottom. I used to get marks sometimes in softer colours but don't seem to now. This works for me but then I have an sc2 so maybe yours is hotter :-\
kathryn

awrylemming

Have you tried cutting your mandrels to different lengths?  I was having this problem, but not so much now that I've done this, I just line up my mandrels in ascending order height wise so they go into the kiln that way and no more kiln kissing.

sarah t

garaging at that temperature should be fine but most kilns have a hotter spot depending on where the elements are ,it sounds like putting in a bit to hot because once at the garaging temp the beads should be pretty stable ....make sure they are not toucing anything when they go into the kiln including the rack ,,is where the kisses are giving you any clues as to what the are touching?.....   and if they are really small are you flame polishing any creases out properly before putting into the kiln?



GaysieMay

I have this happen sometimes too, I do think it's more noticeable when using certain glasses, I've noticed for instance with beads that have frit on them.  Not sure if that is just a coincidence or to do with melting points etc. ???
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

The Tartan Trout

Thank you :) When they first go on they don't touch anything. they go on the rack. Even after 20 mins if I have to move they are sometimes marking. How do I know if the temp the kiln says it is at is actually what is inside?

Margram

Mine reads 10 degrees higher than the correct temperature when I first switch it on, so I assume it is hotter when it gets to garaging temperature also. So I reduced that by 10 degrees and checked the beads were still annealing by doing the polarising test.
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

HelenV

I've had this recently with my bead cube and its soooo frustrating. I've also got a rack and I garage at 500'c - I think I put them in too warm and move them together too soon so I`m really trying to let the glow come right out of them before putting them into the kiln - so far no cracks (fingers crossed)

www.helenvanekdesign.co.uk
www.etsy.com/shop/helenvanekdesign

Lee - Kilncare

Hi Helen, what have you had with your Bead Cube?

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Trudi

I usually only have this problem if I put a bead in that's too warm and it touches another one (must learn to let them cool a little longer).

I have half a rod rest inside my kiln (SC2) with 5 spaces on. I fill that up and them in turn stack them. I garage at 500°C and anneal at 520­°C (but for some glass I have gone up to 535°C) and have had no issues. The only glass I'm wary of is rubino as I know that can get tacky at lower temps.  I'd suggest you might need to check the temps inside your kiln.