Main Menu

Lynx, Scorpian or Cheetah?

Started by Angie, February 26, 2011, 04:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

Can anyone offer a bit of advice please? I make mild and stainless steel sculpture and plan to incorporate glass tubing and blown glass shapes within my sculpture. I will use up to 30mm diam tube and want to create gentle bends around and between my steel. As I already use an oxygen and acetyline welder, I plan to have bottled o2 so the oxycon is not really in the plan. I presume I am looking for a wide flame but also need it to be able to do small work (& soft glass beads) on the odd occasion. I don't know whether the triple mix is the way to go, don't want to spend way over what I need but also don't wish to have to buy another torch if it lacks guts.

I have read American reports that the Lynx soots up and  has to be sent for cleaning, although the correct wire and regular attention should keep it under control, a bit like my Bethlehem Piranah I presume. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Will I have to order from USA or does anyone stock these here?
www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...

Krysia@No98

I don't know which one would be most suitable for what you want to use if for but I know that Tuffnell Glass order from GTT from time to time.  As Martin of tuffnell glass has done glass blowing he would be a really good person to talk to about torches.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Kaz

I've run a Lynx for almost 2 years on two oxycons and not had any sooting up. I had a lot of sooting up with its smaller brother the Bobcat.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

helbels

I get sooting on the Cricket, but you just sweep it off the torchhead every 40 mins or so.  It's no big deal.

garishglobes

Using tanked oxygen, I don't think you'll have a sooting problem.
If you are blowing, I think you want a nice wide soft flame. For finer work and beads, you want a thin flame. I would say the Cricket won't give you the wide flame needed for larger blowing. The Scorpion definitely has a wider flame, almost an inch across, and it is very, very easy to switch between this and the finer flame needed for finer details. The wide flame is hot!  I've never tried a Cheetah, can't comment on that one!

You can get GTT torches from the German person on ebay - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/farbglas-werkzeug?_trksid=p4340.l2563

JKC

I have a scorpion, which I really like, I took it to Glasgow and Sean seemed to like it too.

Modified:  Have to say Stacy is correct - the scorpion is made especially for oxycons.  Sorry, I was too busy watching rugby to notice the tanked oxygen in your post.

Stacy

I notice you say you are going onto tanked oxy. If it were me this would define my choices to the Lynx or the cheetah. I have a Scorpion and love it but they are designed to be used on Oxycons. Now I won't pretend to know enough about to try to understand why this is or what changes this means but I trust GTT to know that for me.

So like I say, this would mean I would be choosing between the Lynx and the Cheetah. Now, I'm embarrassed to say, when it comes to torches I'm very much a bigger is best kinda girl! Therefore I would go for the Cheetah if funds could stretch and I was prepared to wait!  ;)

However, I personally think the best thing you can do is call GTT. From what I can remember if you call after 3pm they are open (owing to the time difference) they are by far the best people to speak to regarding their torches and are very helpful. Try to get put through to the Tech department as they really know their stuff and if you explain what you need from your torch want they can point you in the right direction. Plus one of them has the sexiest voice!!!  ;D

Angie

Thanks for all the help so far, I see on the gtt site that the Scorpian can run or either systems or oxycon for the central flame and cylinder for external flame. The Cheetah doesn't mention oxycons. However what puzzles me is that the cheetah is $200 dollars cheaper than the scorpian, maybe I'd better give them a ring as you suggest and I'll ask to speak to the one with the sexy voice...I presume they speak English!
www.angiesnelling.com

Stacy

Yep they are american so apart from the accent they speak perfect english!  ;D

Angie

LOL..don't know why, I thought they were german!
www.angiesnelling.com

fionaess

Quote from: Angie on February 26, 2011, 09:28:00 PM
LOL..don't know why, I thought they were german!

Villie and Vally  ;D ;D ;D ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Angie

Thank you everyone for your help, it's already influencing my choice and I may well give Villy and Wally a ring!
www.angiesnelling.com