Encasing Frit

Started by Pam, August 01, 2009, 09:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Pam

I have done lots of encasing recently but now I am encasing frit  (with Lauscha clear) and annealing at 520 degrees I am getting occasional cracked beads. Any suggestions of a preferred alternative encasing glass or annealing temp change?

Kaz

Is any of the frit silver glass- that could be the problem?
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

flowerjasper

i always used lausha on my hothead, as it the only clear i could get on with,
now crystal clear 006 is my favourite  ;D

julieHB

I have lots of lovely lauscha, but after several cracked beads I also tend to use Effetre 006 when using silver or a lot of frit.
Julie xx

                           My Webbie - My Flickr

Trudi

could be the frit you're using or the amount! - or if it's large chunk frit .............

beadysam

Hiya Pam,
I use Lauscha almost exclusively these days for clarity, and I still have loads from Sal so I haven't tried any of the newer clears except Reich 104.  To be honest I don't do a lot of encasing of frit, for some reason it never occurs to me when I'm playing at the torch.  When testing I have tried a good range of colours and blends with Lauscha over the top, however I only use small amounts of frit and encase deeply.  I don't generally have many problems with breakage, even though I use a blanket and batch anneal, but I believe Lauscha is one of those glasses that is happier going in the kiln glowing - I could be wrong on that though.  

Is it a particular colour or blend that is casuing the most problems?  Is anyone else having the same issues?

Theres not a huge amount of advice I can offer except to try these ideas.  I'd try each one on a couple of test beads and see what results you get - I'm happy to send you some extra frit if you want to experiment a bit rather than using your own frit stash.

Deeper encasing,
Shallower encasing
Less frit
Equal amounts of base and encasing glass
Melt the frit well in

I have got some Reich Lead Crystal Clear and some Lead-free Crystal Clear on the way that is the same coe as the frit.  I'm happy to send you a bit to play with?  

I'm sorry I can't be more help hun. :'( Its rare there is a problem with frit, as you need so little and the metal content of the furnace glass makes the COE issue almost irrelevant but if there is a problem, I'd much rather know about it so I can do further testing and hopefully find a solution - or if necessary, pull the colour from my range.

I'll get some rods to you when they arrive.  

Pam

I am happy to hear I am not doing anythinh disaterously wrong, I was just anxious that maybe I was using the Lauscha instead of a tried and tested superior glass for encasing, is 006 the new clear from effetre.
It could be that the beads cooled too much before going into the kiln as I am a bit of a devil and wanting to see what I've got before I make more of the same. Not all beads have cracked, just some and I was worrying a little in case any cracked after I have sold them.
Sam thank you for your input, I am not suggesting that there is any problems with the frit, I have some amazing ones from you and I just love them--ALL-- I am sure it something I am doing, like I say probably too bloomin nosey  :D ;D
Has anyone put some silver with frit (tails) and had any problems (now I am asking for trouble  :o)

afina

Pam, do you use the soft Lauscha clear or the regular one? In the German forum we discussed issues with the soft Lauscha when using a kiln - no problems with blankets or Vermiculite with the glass.
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

Pam

Its the regular one I think I got it from Sally and I'm pretty sure it was not the softest one.