round beads and dimples?

Started by mindy23, July 10, 2009, 01:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mindy23

Hello
I have ordered a round bead press thanks to those who pointed me in the direction of marielouisa's site!  It isnt here yet but i was just thinking about its impending arrival and then I started to wonder about dimples.  Should these beads be dimpled?  I'm a little old school perhaps and have never actually seen any of these new proper round beads in the flesh.  Just wondered what the concensus was and what I should be aiming for when the press arrives.  Just need to be prepared!!!!  I cant wiat to get it, new tools are always way tooo exciting!

Mindyx



It could be much worse, but... it could also be much, much better...


Annelyse

Hello Mindy,

Most real round beads I have seen did not have any dimples.

I have just looked at your website and I am blown away by your jewellery!!!

Diane

Hi Mindy - I have one arriving tomorrow and was wondering the same thing - will be interested to see any replies.

Diane x

Pegasus

You can do both, with or without dimples. It just depends how wide you make your bead before squishing it. Sometimes if you go for the non dimpled bead you will tend to get some sharp edges which will grind down with an electric reamer. I think dimples look nicer (only my opinion). This has to be my all time fave press, thanks to Maria Louisa!!! XXXX
~ BEV ~
www.pegasuslampworktools.co.uk      

Trudi

I was looking on Maria Louise's site and wondering weather to go for the "marver" or the press .......... would have thought though that with round beads you wouldn't expect the pucker.

Lush!

This is my favourite press in the whole wide world  ;D

I like a little dimple  ;)


www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Sarah

I make a lot of round beads and I have done them with & without dimples - but I don't use a press.

To get dimples I heat the bead very gently round the edge of the end of the bead and then let gravity do its bit.

If you don't have dimples then just make sure the hole is tidy with no sharp bits.

Sarah
xxx

mizgeorge

As an end user ;) I have to say I like a little dimple too! Those without tend to have (as Sarah says) sharper edges, which can cut through things and have a nasty habit of chipping a bit.

Shirley

So by round presses do you mean the ones that are called 'marbles' on Maria Louisa's site? They look really good, am getting tempted myself ;D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Vicki

I would say with dimples, even with a round as a buyer I would want them...whether or not I'd be any good with this press I don't know  :)

mindy23

yes, i am a dimple person too.  I would want the beads i sell to be as versatile as possible meaning that they could be strung on any material without any issues.  If i ever have any that arent dimpled I sell those as seconds.  I just wondered if with these round beads, the opinion was different.  Thank you for your responses as its good to get an overview especially from those who would use the beads.  I cant wait to get the press, i always find it frustrating trying to get beads to exactly the same size for sets so hope this will iron out that one!  Maira lousisa site is wonderful, i had never heard of it before and was just about to order a press from zoozziis when I asked on here and was pointed in the much cheaper ( import tax wise) direction of europe.  ;D
I'm just in from my hut, i had to come in as i was starting to tremble and feel dizzy. THe heat is back :(

Mindyxx



It could be much worse, but... it could also be much, much better...


dinah46

Maria Louisa's presses are seriously addictive :o

Kaz

As a bead buyer I have had round beads both with and without dimples and don't mind them without dimples as long as they are not sharp and sticky-outy.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

mindy23

I guess there is a big difference between "undimpled" and sharp and sticky outy.  I just wondered really as on beads I've made in the past, if the glass is coming down at a 90degree angle to the mandrel there is always a slightly more refined edge, not really sharp though.  I should have made myself clearer, I am not great at explaining things so please forgive me!  I didnt mean to suggest with my last comment that beads without dimples should all be seconds but it sort of read like that.  I just wanted to know if my tendency towards dimpled was out dated now as with these pressess and marvers it was maybe possible to get a nice neat end without dimples.  Now I have probabaly over explained that too so I will stop now and go to bed! 
Hope everyone has a lovely weekend, I am considering becoming nocturnal again till the weather is cooler. 
Mindyx



It could be much worse, but... it could also be much, much better...


Diane

Hi Mindy - think I followed your drift - should the ends be 'tucked in' or flush?  Will be having a play today so see what I can manage with my new press   Yeah  - thanks to Kaz and Mark ;D ;D ;D

Diane x