Twisty question??

Started by Dee Dee, May 28, 2009, 02:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dee Dee

I've seen lots of beads with twisties that seem to spread really wide - is there a secret to this, or is it a very thick twistie??

Just so you know the kind of thing I'm talking about, I saw this lovely bead on Etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_1&listing_id=25595464

sublimekate


Dee Dee

Thanks Kate, yes, I do that too, but what makes it spread so far across the bead - my twisties spread a wee bit, but nothing like that?? ???  Am I making them too thin?

sublimekate

Oh I see what you mean now.

Well I'm not sure, I'd just be guessing if I tried to offer suggestions as to why, but that does look like a raku twistie, and raku likes spreading so maybe it's just the glass, but could be a fat twistie, or maybe it's a small bead....hahahah ok I'll shut up now.  ::)

I don't know basically, sorry hon. Kate xxx

Dee Dee

Quote from: sublimekate on May 28, 2009, 02:54:20 PM
Oh I see what you mean now.

Well I'm not sure, I'd just be guessing if I tried to offer suggestions as to why, but that does look like a raku twistie, and raku likes spreading so maybe it's just the glass, but could be a fat twistie, or maybe it's a small bead....hahahah ok I'll shut up now.  ::)

I don't know basically, sorry hon. Kate xxx

LOL, thanks anyway!

LesleyMac

Some glass spreads a lot, raku, ivory, opal yellow, edp to name a few.  If you use those types of spreading glass over transparents then they will spread out a lot, I think on the bead you have shown that probably you have a spreading glass along with a transparent in the twisty which gives that effect. Try it and show us what you come up with, obviously if you make a fat twisty with spreading glass you will enhance the effect even more.

Hope this helps :)
Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)


My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196

Lush!

And encasing it will make it spread more, won't it (says she who hasn't made a twistie for probably about 15 months!)




www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Mary

Raku and intense black together look not unlike that, the IB helps spread the raku.

♥♥Tan♥♥

A butter knife........it spreads butter dunnit :P

sublimekate

Quote from: Tan on May 28, 2009, 08:22:47 PM
A butter knife........it spreads butter dunnit :P

hahahaha  ;D

Pat from Canvey

Does this help
It's a normal sized about 3mm twistie attached to a disc bead, (a fairly small one as I was just keeping my hand in) and then encased in lauscha clear. It was heated until the glass started to spread from a disc to a donut, (about 3 or 4x the width of the twistie).

Lush!

That's what I was thinking Pat - but I've never made one ... till now maybe ...  :D


www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Mary

This is what raku and IB twistie looks like, on silver cinnamon in this case. It was quite a narrow twistie. It really does spread like your picture.

sublimekate

Quote from: Mary on May 29, 2009, 03:54:37 PM
This is what raku and IB twistie looks like, on silver cinnamon in this case. It was quite a narrow twistie. It really does spread like your picture.


Coorrrr, gorgeous beads Mary ;D

Dee Dee

They're fab Mary.  So, what you are saying is, that it's what the twistie is made out of that makes it spread so far?