Perfectly Sized CIM Freman Murrini

Started by Stacy, May 04, 2009, 01:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Stacy

I've just made some lovely little murrini sized piecews from two rods of CIM Freman.

Problem is I would have preferred to use it as a rod. It shocked everywhere right down the whole length of the rod. Now I know that I'm quite bad with introducing glass into the flame so I even turned my flame right down, held it right at the end and was VERY slow with it. It still did it!! The weird thing is I'm used to glass shocking at funny angles and having very irrgeular lumps. This one was nearly perfectly sized murrini pieces all the way.

Anyone else have issues with this glass?

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Me too  >:(
I couldn't believe how badly behaved it was. I have never had a glass shock that much.
I thought it was just me cos no-one else had mentioned it. It also went all nasty and grey for me. Fortunately it was on a tree bead so I just call the patches of grey storm clouds  :P

sublimekate

Really!!

Not at all, I've loved using this glass, how wierd. I got a batch a few weeks ago, made lots with it and really liked it. K x  ???

Dragonfire Glass

I just tried to use my first ever rod of fremen & quit after about a quarter of the rod shocked. Its all in a little jar and they are all odd shapes. I even got it to start melting, even though I could see cracks for the next few inches, but then the melted bit fell off too so I gave up.

flowerjasper

i`m like kate, never had a problem with it, how odd!

Les

I've used it for one or two birdies... I don't recall having that problem either ??

I remember the frustration we all used to get with Anise White..... frit on a bloody stick was that stuff, LOL

Dragonfire Glass

Mine is quite a thick rod - maybe that's why?

Trudi

oh dear - it's one of my favourites and I've had no problem with it at all so far ..............

Dragonfire Glass

should have got you to use it then Trudi - your magic touch just might have saved me some glass!

Lush!

Grrrrr  >:(

It must be worth dropping Kathy Seamands (Mrs CIM) a line, she's really helpful and I'm sure she'd want to know if there's a problem.





Grrrrrrr ... I hate shocky glass ...  >:(


www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

TiaraHelen

How annoying.  Might it be worth sticking what's left in the kiln and annealing it?
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

Amber

I thought it was just me! Mine shocked the moment I put it into the flame, it's totally unusable. I've never had a glass shock in this way, the pieces literally just dropped off.  ??? Bizarre! And such a shame, because it looks like a lovely colour.


sublimekate

Although I ahven't had any trouble at all using itI just remembered I made a set of beads last week and used Fremen for the base of an encased round, it was one of many where I'd used different brights as the base colour, it cracked  >:(

I made a replacement and it did it again, it had cracked in the kiln in 4/5 different directions from the hole at each end!!

hollergrafik

Quote from: sublimekate on May 04, 2009, 10:04:18 PM
Although I ahven't had any trouble at all using itI just remembered I made a set of beads last week and used Fremen for the base of an encased round, it was one of many where I'd used different brights as the base colour, it cracked  >:(

I made a replacement and it did it again, it had cracked in the kiln in 4/5 different directions from the hole at each end!!

Oh thank you for posting this, I had an encased Freman set of 6 crack on me, I thought I had done something wrong with them.

Calico Cat

Haven't tried my rod of Fremen yet so I will be careful with it.

Did spend yesterday afternoon showering my studio with little chunks of Bullseye Orange though . . .

Carole


Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .