Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?

Started by TiaraHelen, April 23, 2009, 08:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TiaraHelen

I was wondering just how many gorgeous beads that cracked in half get thrown away every day.

I thought of fish tank decoration, cabs (if you're clever with silver) and garden or flowerpot mulch, or frit (if it's very expensive glass I guess it might be worth it).

Any other ideas?
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

saffie

clean the bead release out and slump them in kiln make cabachons!

Amber

I've laid mine out in a pretty pattern on the garden wall!  :)

julieHB

fire them up until rounded and scatter them among the gravel on your garden path - ever so pretty when the light catches them - just be aware of small kids picking up "sweets"  :)
Julie xx

                           My Webbie - My Flickr

Steampunkglass

I think there was another thread like this a while back, someone suggested making a nice beaded flyscreen curtain out of the duff ones that are still whole, which I quite like the idea of

Soozintheshed

Sooz     '(0,0)'



www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed

TiaraHelen

Perfect, thanks.  I've never done fusing so didn't even think of it.  So do I just put the beads through a "full fuse" program on kiln paper, or do I need a mould?  Once  I've got it sussed I'll never throw a cracked beadie away again (wish I'd thought of asking this question before!!!)
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

hollergrafik

I have made cufflinks from mine. Cleaned them, slumped and glued onto blanks for cufflinks.

Sarah

Quote from: TiaraHelen on April 23, 2009, 11:27:40 PM
Perfect, thanks.  I've never done fusing so didn't even think of it.  So do I just put the beads through a "full fuse" program on kiln paper, or do I need a mould?  Once  I've got it sussed I'll never throw a cracked beadie away again (wish I'd thought of asking this question before!!!)

Yes - full fuse, kiln paper and no mould. But make sure you clean out all the bead release  :) And make sure that they are right at the back of the kiln to get an even fuse.

Sarah
xxx

Redhotsal


sandie

Quote from: Redhotsal on April 24, 2009, 12:21:26 AM
You can fix a broken bead with PMC!
This is probably a daft question, but when you fired the pmc, would the glass not crack? I got a beautiful lampwork vessel that arrived with a tiny bit out of the lip. It occured to me that I could give it a pmc collar, but I'm worried about breaking the bead.

Scubeadoo

Quote from: Sarah on April 23, 2009, 11:46:57 PM
Quote from: TiaraHelen on April 23, 2009, 11:27:40 PM
Perfect, thanks.  I've never done fusing so didn't even think of it.  So do I just put the beads through a "full fuse" program on kiln paper, or do I need a mould?  Once  I've got it sussed I'll never throw a cracked beadie away again (wish I'd thought of asking this question before!!!)

Yes - full fuse, kiln paper and no mould. But make sure you clean out all the bead release  :) And make sure that they are right at the back of the kiln to get an even fuse.

Sarah
xx
Not had my kiln long so I'm new to all this - Whats a full fuse? Is there a programme for doing this in a Paragon SC2?

Thanks

Marion
www.etsy.com/shop/Scubeadoo
www.folksy.com/shops/Scubeadoo

xtweeksx

I made some of mine into cabs yesterday - I popped them in along with some float glass I was slumping and they turned out fine  :)

You can find all the fusing/slumping schedules here: http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=12.0

Scubeadoo

Thanks for that , didnt think to hunt around the forum a bit more ::)
www.etsy.com/shop/Scubeadoo
www.folksy.com/shops/Scubeadoo