Your best ever tips!

Started by Dee Dee, April 02, 2009, 01:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dee Dee

In your beadmaking...is there something you do, or has someone given you a tip, that has been worth it's weight in gold?

Care to share?  I have two.....

I use a doming block to get round beads in a set about the same size (tip given to me by Sarah!).

I pull my stringers using a piece of a bought clear stringer as a punty, rather than tweezers, and leave it attached, that way I get to use my stringer to the very end!


Trudi

To make creases, instead of a razor tool, I use a stanley knife!

GoodMonkey

When using frit put it in a little foil tart tray.  Thay way it is easy to use, you can pick the tray up if you need to and you can crease it to put your excess frit back into it's jar or grip seal bag.

sarah t

buy cheap buy twice !!........we all love a bargin ...but i have  had to remake stuff for people because i skimped on materials ...not worth it in the long run !!

Graeme

Got myself a great tip from Rosenquartz.
I was using Vermiculite in a plany pot to cool my beads but found they were still cracking. He told me that he uses a slow cooker with the Vermiculite in it. Got one for £11.99 from Tesco and it works great. I can turn it down over 3 stages and not had a bead crack since.  Thanks Neil, great tip.

Graeme

Black Heart Beads

I also used a slow cooker to cool my beads before I got my kiln but now I use it to keep petals etc warm. I Just removed the ceramic pot and use the metal base and its big enough to do several lots of petals at once.

GlassOcean

Trusty kitchen knife from a charity shop for making grooves and flattening dots!

Amber

When making long cylinder beads, make a bead at each end before filling in the middle. This should keep your dimples all nice!  ;D

Lush!

Thanks to Anna for this one I think - turn the valve on the your propane bottle ON as far as it will go, so that you never have any trouble working out which way is OFF.  ;D


www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Trudi

Quote from: Lush! on April 02, 2009, 08:31:30 PM
Thanks to Anna for this one I think - turn the valve on the your propane bottle ON as far as it will go, so that you never have any trouble working out which way is OFF.  ;D
LOL Julie!

sea-thistle

That's a good tip that I will have to remember!! ;D

Pegasus

Never put a light bulb in your back pocket ;D ;D.........and use a marble press to make round beads, you only need half the press so one press can be made into 2 round bead makers! That's how I do my round beads, I'd be lost without it!!!
~ BEV ~
www.pegasuslampworktools.co.uk      

Dee Dee

Some great tips everyone!  I have another one......

Use a riveting tool (along with a rubber washer) to remove totally stuck beads from their mandrels!

I've just bought one.....it's awesome!!

Kaz

Cut up the little books of silver foil (into 3 or 4 smaller books cutting across the spine so they stay together)
Balance a bead by building it up. Make a small bead, balance it, add another wrap, balance it, etc. etc.
When using a press, if the bead is too small add glass at the middle, rather than the ends so that the glass pushes outwards and makes better ends (obviously won't work with a pre-decorated bead where your guesswork has to be much better!)
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

TiaraHelen

Always wear an apron!  Worth its weight in ruined skirts and trousers.
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".