Mica Powder/Pixie Dust

Started by Rachel B, January 19, 2009, 04:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rachel B

I`ve just found that Warm glass are stocking Mica Powder and got all excited because I`ve wanted to use it for ages.  What colours are best to use?  I don`t want to part with my cash and find I`ve spent it on a crappy colour that won`t give results.  any advice glady received.  Thanks guys! :)

Zeldazog

Glad you asked about mica powder Rachel, I noticed it on Warm Glass site.

What do you actually do with it, how is it used?  I only fuse, so wonder if/how I could use it?

Cos, its not like I haven't got tons of stuff already.....


Lush!

I lurve mica powder!

I bought a huge sample pack (either 24 colours for £16 or 16 colours for £24!) ages ago but I find them hard to use - I like the bigger pots cos I can literally dip my bead in, give it a twirl in the powder, tap off the excess, briefly reheat the bead to stick the powder on, then into the kiln.

I've got gold and pearl in the bigger pots and I just added a pic of some gold-dusted beads to my Flickr album today.

 


www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

bluefairy

Quote from: Zeldazog on January 19, 2009, 04:15:03 PM
Cos, its not like I haven't got tons of stuff already.....

You can never have enough stuff.......... ;)

I think for fusing you can sprinkle it on glass/sandwich it between sheets, I'm guessing maybe beads can be rolled in it?!?!?  ???  Never tried it though (as you can probably tell).  It's on my (v long) to do list...........
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

Rachel B

Oooooo, thank Julie and Dawn!  I`m gonna have a nosey at your bead now and may have to get myself some to play with!

Steampunkglass

I found that colour really depends on what colour glass you go over. Red pearl over red was very pink and striking for example, I have some green and blue which tends to look pretty good although I haven't used it for a while.
Doesn't seem to work very well inside glass, I found it didn't show up much, but on the outside worked a treat.

I actually used to use it over gold ormaline paint rather than glass, and I remember the contrast between cold blue and warm gold was quite striking

Im a glassy babe

This brings up a question from me. ;D

When I asked Tuffnells if they sold this at the Big Bead show at Sandown, they said a definite no.  It was apparently dangerous to use  ??? If I'm correct the manufacturer would not disclose the contents so Tuffnells would not buy it in.  I hope I've got that right  :)

I haven't looked into it any further but is there some safety procedures with it? Does anyone know of issues with using it.  Would be grateful to know as I love the effect.  I have drooled over yours in the past Julie  ;)

Thanks guys  ;D

~tHePyRoPiXiE~

Im no expert on the stuff, but just take the same care as you do with enamels, Ie, dont breath, inhale or sniff!
And a little goes a VERY long way!
I've used it very sucessfully in fusing projects, but with fusing you do need to use quite a bit to get a good result!
I think the sparkle colours are better than the glitter or hi-light ones, but thats just me!
~ Chrystal ~
www.chrystalrosedesigncrafts.com

clasicat

Quote from: Lush! on January 19, 2009, 04:20:30 PM
I lurve mica powder!

I bought a huge sample pack (either 24 colours for £16 or 16 colours for £24!) ages ago but I find them hard to use - I like the bigger pots cos I can literally dip my bead in, give it a twirl in the powder, tap off the excess, briefly reheat the bead to stick the powder on, then into the kiln.

I've got gold and pearl in the bigger pots and I just added a pic of some gold-dusted beads to my Flickr album today.

 
Aha I was just gonna pm up about the beads you put on UK beaders in the gold thread to see how you achieved the look and now I know ty  ;D
Claire x

Mary

The mica is the same stuff they use in eyeshadow, so it's not as bad as enamel, just be sensible.

Dee Dee

Those purple sparklies are gorgeous, Christina!



Margram

Mary, does that mean we can use loose eyeshadow instead, then?

Marg x
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Steampunkglass

It's tempting, but I think they add alot of other fillers and stuff in with it as well

Mary

Some colours of Pearl-ex work, but some burn out, I imagine eyeshadow is the same. The mica is fine, but the dyes and colourants don't tolerate the heat.

Vicki.White

Hiya Guys, I was looking on etsy the other day and came across this Pink Tint Sparkle Bead Set by joycelo. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23906039

Can anyone tell me how this person has created this glitter look, she says she rolled it in sparkling dust to create an all over shimmer??? and any idea where I can get my hand on some ....   ;D

Thanks  ;)

xxx