insulation?

Started by bubblefizz, March 27, 2008, 09:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnedlight

I don't think the polystyrene will be a risk when covered in hardboard, and anyway, the entire shed is flammable! I think mineral wool is very good, but it costs more..
kathryn

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I've got Fermacell panels in my studio - and loads left over too  :D

beadysam

If you are on a budget (who isn't?) dont forget to ask for the stuff you need on your local Freecycle group.  Reusing materials like this is recycling at its best, and people often give left over building materials and bubblewrap.  Find your local group here: www.freecycle.org

Just a question; would egg boxes be any good for insulation do you think?  I know they are good for soundproofing.  I just wondered because I get given loads because of having chickens and some of them are the really big boxes.  When I upgrade my shed this year, I just wondered if I could make use of them.....

Vicki

I think the problem with egg boxes is they might get damp ???

Juniper

Quote from: beadysam on March 27, 2008, 11:07:16 PM

Just a question; would egg boxes be any good for insulation do you think?  I know they are good for soundproofing.  I just wondered because I get given loads because of having chickens and some of them are the really big boxes.  When I upgrade my shed this year, I just wondered if I could make use of them.....

The point in insulation is that you try to stop the air movement between two layers, but still have air in there. The amount of air pockets matters - thats why polystyrene and polyurethane are good, they have lots of tiny bubbles in them. Egg boxes have quite big air pockets, so to reach good insulation you'll end up with thick walls.

Quote from: Vicki on March 27, 2008, 11:57:22 PM
I think the problem with egg boxes is they might get damp ???

Sheds tend to be damp and in damp condition things start growing (like molds an bacteria) - so the question is - where have your egg boxes been in and what have been in them?
Paula

Juniper

Quote from: turnedlight on March 27, 2008, 02:00:37 PM
I don't think the polystyrene will be a risk when covered in hardboard, and anyway, the entire shed is flammable! I think mineral wool is very good, but it costs more..

You are probably right. It's just the thought of burning polystyrene that rises my hear. My friend was hospitalized after setting fire on a roof with that stuff. She was lucky, her friend needed skin transplant after that.  :-\
Paula

Katiequiggle

We used loft insulation the fibreglassy woolly stuff on a roll from B&Q and then put Conti board over the top which is painted.  Its lovely and warm once my heater has heated it up.

bubblefizz

ok thought i would let you all know.....i bought some 100mm insulation and it was £38.99 from focus and its buy one get one FREE  ;D ;D

Pam

Wow that was a bargin. Now you have £39 to spend on more glass.

bubblefizz

i wished pam LOL need to buy the plasterboard now  :-\ blimey it never ends does it lol

sea-thistle

I used polystyrene and mdf hardboard, So far shed dry!! ;D

Lyn G

I haven't insulated my shed with anything.  The door is also left open slightly as well, as I have an extension lead coming into the shed.  I use a small convector heater and often have to turn it down as it gets really toasty warm in there.  I have been out there in all weathers since November (I do come back indoors occasionally!) and can honestly say that I have never found it too cold to work.

Perhaps insulation is nice, but isn't strictly necessary?

Vicki

I just remembered, there is also a tarpaulin in the back wall of my shed, it was about it got used, the wind realy hits this wall & I have no draught there at all...although my husband was cursing it as he was screwing in the cladding ;D