CIM Plum Unique .... updated

Started by Lush!, November 07, 2011, 05:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

As mentioned in the Gallery thread today, there have been some reported cracking problems with CIM Plum Unique.

I did some testing on this glass a couple of months ago, so I've just checked the bead I made and can confirm that it hasn't cracked at all.  So maybe its not down to using SIS with it.

My bead is CIM Plum Unique with CIM Desert Pink Unique, and a band of Effetre silvered ivory stringer and silver wire around the centre.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

SilverGems89

Maybe it likes to be annealed a little hotter Julie? That is the only thing i can think of...

Lush!

I anneal at 500, Gem, not particularly hot at all.

SilverGems89

Quote from: Lush! on November 07, 2011, 05:46:41 PM
I anneal at 500, Gem, not particularly hot at all.

Well thats me stumped then  :P

JKC

Lilley

Sorry Julie, didn't mean to hi-jack the gallery thread.  Thanks for starting this one  :)

That is one fab bead you have there Julie!  Maybe it is the celedon and plum combination that's the problem then rather than the SIS - all of my larger lentils have cracked, smaller ones don't seem to have yet, and the small spacers I made of the individual colours are fine.  I made the SS lentils in the same way for both the large and small ones and in the same way as I made the red and green ones - all of the red and green ones are fine.  If it was to do with how I press the beads I would have thought I'd have problems with the red and green beads as well as the plum and celedon. They came out of the kiln ok, I cleaned them and made up the bracelet before they then cracked. Ho hum - anyone who has some plum and celedon fancy seeing what happens if they make similar beads?

Glass - lampworked, blown, kilncast or fused and slumped, it's all good!

Lush!

I've got regular and unique plum and celadon, I'll have a go at mixing em all up tomorrow.

Lilley

Thank you Julie!  :)  Will look forward to hearing your results.

Lynnybobs

Oooh now thats a fab colour combo !!!
Lynnybobs
----x----

Lush!

As promised, I had a play with CIM Unique Plum and Celadon (I used the regular Celadon as I think that's what Karen originally had a problem with  ???)

There's no cracks yet, and I really can't imagine that there will be but I'll hold on to the beads for a while and keep checking them. 

It looks like the Plum is a spreader though, see how the Celadon dots have a dark centre?

Margram

Scrummy! ;D

Lilley - how do you use the lentil press, that is, do you do one big press or several little ones? It might be that the red green combo is a bit more forgiving  of your technique? - and Julie might be doing it a little more gently??? Just a thought, as this hasn't been solved yet...
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Lilley

I used unique plum and unique celedon.  I used a straight sided lentil press, I gather plum and celedon side by side into a sphere with the lenght just shy of the length of the press and start pressing when there is just under what I reckon the bead needs then add the wrap of SIS which usually brings the glass up to the right amount.  I reheat and press until the bead is the right shape adding glass as necesary if it needs it.  ThenI ensure the faces and edges are fire polished and the bead warmed through before putting it in the kiln to anneal.  I haven't had any problem with pressed beads until now and I do use a press for lentils and rounds pretty frequently - all the red/gren ones are still fine. What do you reckon?

Margram

Sorry - I lost track of this thread! It sounds like you are doing everything right, so it is still a bit of a mystery... ???
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Lush!

Uh oh ....

I noticed the Unique Plum side of the bead is well and truly cracked.  I'm writing to Kathy Seamands at CIM now, see if she's come across any similar problem with this glass.

Kaz

Good luck Julie
I wrote to her not so long ago with a cracking/compatibility problem with maple and butter pecan and have not had a response.
I think it's a shame that these odd lots and new colours don't appear to be thoroughly tested before being sold.
It does seem that there are now some quality control issues that just weren't there when this glass first came out. It's such a shame as it really is my favourite brand.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!