which wire?

Started by flowerjasper, October 10, 2008, 11:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flowerjasper

i have just found a really useful conversion table , wire gauges,
need a bit of help, what i want to do is get some silver wire that i can use for bead wrapping and also so i can include beads in a chain maille bracelet,  ie the wire through the bead and curled twice at each end so it can be added,
would 1mm (20) be too thick?
sandy

mizgeorge

Not sure what conversion table you've found sweetie, but 1mm is 18ga. It's on the heavy side for wrapping with, but is great for simple loops. It might be that you're looking at SWG (which is not used a lot now) rather than AWG (also called B&S)?

If you're looking to only get one size, though, 20ga (0.8mm) is probably the best all-rounder. Make sure you get dead soft if you want to wrap. It's easier to harden than having to start annealing.

If you want some sample bits to compare, give me a shout and I'll pop them in the post for you.

flowerjasper

thanks george,
when you say get it soft... what do i have to do??
s x

mizgeorge

LOL you just need to buy dead soft (sometimes called standard) wire. Half hard or full hard is too stiff to wrap with, but is great for earwires ;) Since I'm going to be posting to you anyway, I'll pop some samples in for you!

bluefairy

;D ;D ;D  sorry, lowering the tone again, he he he, can't help but snigger a la teenager mode when reading all this smut advice  :D
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

flowerjasper

oooohhhh matron is this soft enough??? ;D