DICHROIC BLANKS

Started by Bluebottle, November 06, 2008, 10:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebottle

Can anyone tell me where in the UK I can get round dichroic fusing blanks about 35mm in diameter, I can find them in the US of A but postage is a bit prohibitive on a small quantity, any help greatly appreciated  ::)

Mike   ;D

mjbelkin

Melanie  :-*  |  "Bother" said the Borg as they assimilated Pooh

http://www.kandmbeadshop.com/   |  http://www.kandmcreations.co.uk/

Zeldazog

You're right, they do, Mel, I thought I had seen them (just wasn't sure where!)

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=456

Bluebottle

Thanks guys but these aren't quite what I  want, what i'm looking for is the round dichroic pieces before they are fused   ::)

Mike   ;D

Zeldazog

Never seen those Mike to be honest (then again, I don't look for dichroic)

Soozintheshed

What you after Mike?  The stainless steel settings?

I have some on order if so, not sure of the pricing yet though.
Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed

Bluebottle

Quote from: Soozintheshed on November 07, 2008, 06:03:10 PM
What you after Mike?  The stainless steel settings?

I have some on order if so, not sure of the pricing yet though.

Nope it's the actual dichroic glass discs before they are fused that I'm looking for   ;)

Mike   ;D

sparrow

Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Zeldazog

greenbeadenvy

Quote from: Bluebottle on November 07, 2008, 05:28:40 PM
Thanks guys but these aren't quite what I  want, what i'm looking for is the round dichroic pieces before they are fused   ::)

Mike   ;D
Hi ya mike, Do want to make Dichroic glass pendants but are not too keen on using a glass cutter?  I have supprising news for you.... When I used to make Dichroic pendants in the old days they started out life... Square. Honest I'm not pulling your leg. Little square stacks go into the kiln and come out round.
Em xx
Emma xx

Bluebottle

Quote from: greenbeadenvy on November 08, 2008, 02:53:51 PM

Mike   ;D
Hi ya mike, Do want to make Dichroic glass pendants but are not too keen on using a glass cutter?  I have supprising news for you.... When I used to make Dichroic pendants in the old days they started out life... Square. Honest I'm not pulling your leg. Little square stacks go into the kiln and come out round.
Em xx

Dawn : no sorry these aren't what I want   :)

Sabine : Yep but round and in this country ;)

Emma : Sounds an interesting technique   :o  any chance of parting with the info   ??? ::)

Mike  ;D

greenbeadenvy

Quote from: Bluebottle on November 08, 2008, 03:38:33 PM
Quote from: greenbeadenvy on November 08, 2008, 02:53:51 PM

Mike   ;D
Em xx

Dawn : no sorry these aren't what I want   :)

Sabine : Yep but round and in this country ;)

Emma : Sounds an interesting technique   :o  any chance of parting with the info   ??? ::)

Mike  ;D

No problemo Mike, gimmee half hour to write something.
Em xx
Emma xx

greenbeadenvy

I'll be quick cuz my stew and dumplings is almost ready LOL.
Use Bullseye glass for the base cut about an inch square, add Dichroic glass cut to same size and then(this is the important bit) top the whole thing of with a piece of 3mm clear bullseye glass. Pop the little stacks in the kiln making sure they wont touch each other once they start melting. Then full fuse (around 800 degrees) The temperature may need adjusting slightly, it just depends on what kind of kiln you have.
The best advice I can give is make notes of every firing, like what temp you used, what you did wrong, what went right or what pattern of dichroic you used...anything that you think will be useful for the next firing.
Have a go, play around and have fun.
I bet if you have a looksie in 'youtube' or search the internet for a bit you will find lots of more detailed toots.
Em xx
Emma xx

Bluebottle

Quote from: greenbeadenvy on November 08, 2008, 04:25:15 PM
I'll be quick cuz my stew and dumplings is almost ready LOL.
Use Bullseye glass for the base cut about an inch square, add Dichroic glass cut to same size and then(this is the important bit) top the whole thing of with a piece of 3mm clear bullseye glass. Pop the little stacks in the kiln making sure they wont touch each other once they start melting. Then full fuse (around 800 degrees) The temperature may need adjusting slightly, it just depends on what kind of kiln you have.
The best advice I can give is make notes of every firing, like what temp you used, what you did wrong, what went right or what pattern of dichroic you used...anything that you think will be useful for the next firing.
Have a go, play around and have fun.
I bet if you have a looksie in 'youtube' or search the internet for a bit you will find lots of more detailed toots.
Em xx

Thanks Emma I'll give it a go   :D

Mike   ;D

Zeldazog

There's good information on Bullseye's own website, in their technotes section, that explains why this happens (I'll dig out the link)

Basically, glass likes to be around 6mm thick, so if you stack it thicker as Emma suggests, when it gets to the 800 degrees range, it will start to spread (it's footprint) outwards to make itself thinner. likewise, a small square, say only 8-10mm across, single thickness, will also go round - because it pulls into itself to get up to that thickness (not sure if this explains it or not!) - that said, a larger piece of only single thickness, taken to full fuse will start to pinch inwards but only along the sides, and not the corners.