starting routine for 2oxycons

Started by firedinglass, October 08, 2008, 04:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilton Taylor

For my 2p worth,

My understanding from my lpg and mains gas men is the same as Qs - flashback is not possible using a surface mix setup. And its impossible for either to burn without the other.
Still, conditioning makes me feel hyper uncomfy without a fb arrestor inline....

On oxycons, I run two in parallel, and switch them on and off within a few seconds of each other. I generally start them with the torch valve open to purge air, then follow poop for lighting. No problems so far.

Sean

ejralph

Thanks for the advice all - this has been really interesting.

So, given that I have a flashback arrestor on the propane hose, and tank is outside, AND it is scientifically impossible for flashbacks anyway with a Minor torch, I now can know that my beautiful pasty white butt is safe and sound and I won't explode myself. Yey to that. It is always good to know!

The question is, can I bring myself to break the habit of POOP?

Logically now I know I should - but will I be able to do it?

The juggling is minimal - lighting my torch the way I do it sounds more confusing than it is actually and frankly I wouldn't be seen dead in a cardie anyway, so only time will tell now how this story progresses  ;D

Gonna psyche myself up maybe and to try brave the pop next time!

You don't wanna know how much I squeal when glass rods pop! I am such a girl sometimes.

Emma  ;D

firedinglass

Wow what a difference an extra oxycon makes!  The flame is much stronger, more like the flame from a tank.  My 2nd oxycon is thudding slightly less now I have dropped it from several inches several times and seems to (at the moment) be working in a balanced way with a different make.  The oxygen output is fine but I've had to sit the machine on a duvet cover and loads of bubblewrap just to reduce the noise!  I'm hoping it will settle down and not need to be sent back.... time will tell!  Many thanks to everyone who replied and to Quinton especially for interesting insights! :)

PS i've christened the 2nd oxy con 'Roxy' :D

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa