Creation Station or Not ??

Started by sublimekate, September 10, 2008, 05:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublimekate

Hi,

I get the shakes in my left wrist and start getting little shooting pains up my arm after a few hours (weird sensation, feels like little electric shocks) anyway I was wondering if a creation station might help, but at £75 odd I thought there might be a cheaper option. have any of you come up with an ingenious (cheep) alternative??

I'd also like to know how those of you with a creation station have found them??

BTW I'm on a HH (not sure if that makes a difference)

Many thanks

Kate

Vicki

alot of the time I have the arms of my creation station folded down, but for tricky things I pop the left side up (I'm left handed) to steady my hand, its second nature now allthough it took a while to get used to...I wouldn't be without it even though I don't use it all the time & I don't use it they way I thought I would before I got it if that makes any sense at all  :D

mizgeorge

I love mine (and I'm using a HH too, which just drops straight into the built in clamp). Like Vicky, I don't use it as I expected, and never use the elbow rest bits - but I think that's because there's just too much of me in the wrong places! I know you can build your own armrests etc, but I couldn't be bothered!

SueP

Sorry I can't help you - I do it standing up :o

No seriously can't get the hang of sitting down - hope you get plenty of advice to help you :)

Redhotsal

Don't have one, but have tried one. They're ok but I found the arms had a tendency to flop down. I didn't think they were particularly robust and I know I'd end up burning the neoprene padding (horrible smell alert).

You can get much the same effect by sticking a couple of paint pots with a little padding either side of your torch.

Better still - try messing around with your seat height. Many people like to have their seats really low so that they can rest their elbows directly on the table (make sure there are no glass crumbs knocking about).  You may want to experiment with different postures and heights as you might find your shooting pains lessen or get worse with different heights. I was using a "convenient" stool for ages but was wondering why I was getting an awful pain at the base of my neck. A simple adjustment of a couple of inches made the problem disappear immediately

Billie

Wouldn't be without mine.  I have very feeble arms, and very achy wrists.  I don't use the elbow rests either but their forearm rests are a godsend  :)  I do tighten mine before each torch session though so they don't move around  ;)

catriona

Ive got one and wouldnt be without it i use the wrist rests and it has elimanated all pain in my neck and arms while i work they dont flop if fited and tightend properly also the elbow pad are removable so you dont burn them .
xxcatxx

Vicki

I stuck my elbow pads down, I didn't like it when they moved about :D

sublimekate

Thanks everyone, I think now that I'm getting more lengthy sessions in I need to re-asses my whole setup. I'm swaying towards a creation station ...........I should save the money and put it in my oxycon fund.......but beads don't look good when you've got the shakes  :-\

I'll sleep on it. Thank you for taking the time out to share your experiences, it's been very helpful.

Kate x

Funky Cow

I'd go with Sally on trying readjusting position. I only changed the angle and height of my torch slightly, and the shooting pains I had in my neck disappeared!
I have been thinking about a creation station myself - have almost got enough in my Paypal account, but I've been there before, and the lure of the glass got too strong!  ;D
Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

sublimekate

Quote from: Funky Cow on September 10, 2008, 07:57:14 PM
I have been thinking about a creation station myself - have almost got enough in my Paypal account, but I've been there before, and the lure of the glass got too strong!  ;D

Yes, I'm going to change things around tomorrow, and I'm the same with glass, no self control that's my problem  ::)

Diane

Hi Kate - I couldn't be without my creation station.  I have had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands - had the op several years ago in my right hand - great but my left hand is bad now and I also get the shakes so it's a godsend.  I love to rest my elbows on the pads - even padded them further for more comfort with two covered sponges from Tesco petrol station!  :)
Diane x

Shirley

You can buy quite a lot of glass with £75........
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

flowerjasper

was wondering the same my self Kate, i was mowing the lawn yesterday .. petrol mower (big lawn)
the tried to make beads.. my hands were still vibrating from the mower  . couldnt do diddly squat  :(
i am on a hothead too, my torch is quite high up, i sit on a breakfast bar stool and my work space is too narrow to balance my elbows,
having been to Di`s (Di easts studio) the other weekend i was liking the comfy office chair and room to put your elbows on the table( dont tell my dad!) guess it depends if you want detail in your beads, if so then yes!
sandy

Kaz

I keep meaning to make some suede pads filled with lentils but never seem to get round to it. I tried the creation station at Towcester and knew I would not get on with one.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!