Ventilation/cooker hood?

Started by Rachel, September 06, 2008, 03:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandanimal

Thanks for this link.
It looks pretty comprehensive.
I have passed it on to my Hubbie/chief handyman to be next on the list after he's plumbed in my downstairs bathroom.

Rachel

Thanks for all the info and suggestions.  I've finally got it sorted.  I bought a cooker hood from Wickes last week but after some consideration, due to the low ceiling in my room and concerns over whether it would be sufficient, I took it back at the weekend.  Instead I went for an 8" hydroponics fan at 750 m/3 per hour.

My dad came round this morning and fitted it for me and it works fantastically. Absolutely no fumes at all.  Did a test with smoke and it zooms down the ducting.  It even nearly had my silver foil off the bench! 

I may have to adjust it slightly as it takes some of the heat away from my flame but I'd rather deal with that than the effects of fumes.

I had a hole cut in the bench opposite my torch and the ducting goes down there - I have the opening at a slight angle to my flame so that all the nasties are pulled downwards.  The fan is under my bench and is ducted out the wall.  The whole set up cost me £130.

I'll post some pics later if any ones interested.

I have to say I could probably have got away with a 6" fan (450 m/3) as my run of ducting is small. 

GoodMonkey

Quote from: Rachel on September 17, 2008, 05:00:43 PM
Thanks for all the info and suggestions.  I've finally got it sorted.  I bought a cooker hood from Wickes last week but after some consideration, due to the low ceiling in my room and concerns over whether it would be sufficient, I took it back at the weekend.  Instead I went for an 8" hydroponics fan at 750 m/3 per hour.

My dad came round this morning and fitted it for me and it works fantastically. Absolutely no fumes at all.  Did a test with smoke and it zooms down the ducting.  It even nearly had my silver foil off the bench! 

I may have to adjust it slightly as it takes some of the heat away from my flame but I'd rather deal with that than the effects of fumes.

I had a hole cut in the bench opposite my torch and the ducting goes down there - I have the opening at a slight angle to my flame so that all the nasties are pulled downwards.  The fan is under my bench and is ducted out the wall.  The whole set up cost me £130.

I'll post some pics later if any ones interested.

I have to say I could probably have got away with a 6" fan (450 m/3) as my run of ducting is small. 

I would be interested in piccies please.