Kiln program settings - Paragon C2 - HELP!

Started by Dwaa, September 20, 2008, 10:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwaa

Hi all
Not been on for a little while as I ve not been able to start LWing yet, but TONIGHT has been my 1st go! Got electric to the garage so couldnt resist!

Anyway, when I had a little go at Carolines I got some settings from her for the above kiln that i have but I think I might have written them down wrong.
Really Im hoping she might see this Q but other input will be helpful also if anyone has one.
This is what Im seeing in my notes

Ramp 1 - FULL - 520c - HOLD - 10 hrs
Ramp 2 - 2.520c for 00.45 mins (this is the bit thats confusing me) Ive set it at 0002 - 520c  - 45mins as I cant understand my writing!!!
Ramp 3 - 00027. - 465c - 00.10mins
Ramp 4 - 0078. - 371c - 00.00mins

Can anyone put me straight?

Thanks

julieHB

Hi Dwaa,

Yeah, it's pretty confusing, isn't it? I had a look for Helen P's very good post on this, but didn't have time to look properly. Anyway, this is the program that I use, and many with me:

Ramp 1: full
Temp1: 510 deg C
Hold 1: 12 hrs (or 5 hrs, or 8 hrs depending on how you feel - you'll just skip to the next segment when you have finished the session)

Ramp2: full
Temp2: 520 deg C
Hold2: 1 hr

Ramp3: 78 deg C
Temp3: 371 deg C
Hold3: 0 mins

Ramp4: 00000

..and you're done.

Some people garage at 520 deg C, it's up to you.  Unless you work with glass very sensitive to kiln striking it doesn't really matter. The important bit is where you cool the beads slowly down to 371 deg, that's where the annealing happens.

If you have a new kiln keep an eye on how much your kiln overshoots the 510 deg C mark when warming up during the first few session. A friend of mine experienced that the kiln came up to 580 deg C before cooling down. After a few sessions it all calmed down and it did not overshoot by more than about 5 deg C. It was as if the relays were a bit "sluggish" to start with.

Good luck!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Caroline

hi Mandy,

just seen this now, here's my schedule

Ramp1 FULL
Temp1 520 C
Hold1 6.00

Ramp2 FULL
Temp2 520C
Hold2 60mins

Ramp3 78 C
Temp3 371 C
Hold3 0.00

Ramp4 0000

Dwaa

Thankyou you beauties!!!!!
I was going in there tonight but we ended swapping the kids rooms round and havent eaten yet so thats a write off!!!

I did 7 beads, 2 were flame damaged red ones - i suppose im not used to the HH after using something far superior!!!!!  :D
My last one tho was pretty perfect Id say, was concentrating on getting a round one - I struggle with wrapping the glass on the rod, not hot enough, then go too far and damage it!

Will post piccies when i get chance...

thanks for help!!!