Lentil ends

Started by Pat from Canvey, August 21, 2008, 08:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat from Canvey

Advice please. Should lentil ends be in a C shape or flat. If flat, the ends where they join the mandrel would be very thin.

afina

Pat, that depends on the press you are using. The "classic" lentil has the C-shape, but there are newer ones with a flat end.
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

Kaz

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on August 21, 2008, 08:24:29 AM
Advice please. Should lentil ends be in a C shape or flat. If flat, the ends where they join the mandrel would be very thin.
For jewellery making I prefer them to have the C shape but not so pronounced that the bead does not actually resemble a lentil. The indent should be nicely rounded not sharp.
Zooziis have a straight sided lentil which is more like a button shape and the ends on those beads should be straight.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Shirley

I think the C shape on some presses is really ugly, even if filled with a spacer. I have heard of people who press and then use stringer to tart up the ends.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Dragonfire Glass

Can't stand C shaped holes - looks unfinished to me.
I prefer mine to be in line with the bead  :)

*rowanberry*

You can press it so the C shape is less pronounced and ends up looking more like a dimple than a C shape, I do it when the glass is a little cooler than I would normally press and press from a round shape and not a rugby ball shape. I have found that slightly over-filling helps too.
Claire

Dragonfire Glass

yes, I get better ends pressing from a rounder shape  :)

Kaz

Me too - and always add glass to the middle before re-pressing rather than the ends as you want to push it outwards from the middle.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!