Where to buy dichroic strips?

Started by bubblefizz, August 13, 2008, 11:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubblefizz

Im gonna try the tutorials "think pink"  by sarah hornik, but where do you buy the dicroich strips from? :-\
do u buy in sheets and cut it yourself?  ::)

Zeldazog

I think I have seen them on Warm Glass, is this what you are looking for (I assume COE 104 for beadmaking?)

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/CategoryProducts.aspx?CategoryId=66

Chameleon

Kaz

I got some of the mixed packs from Warm Glass - seem like good value to me!
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Trudi

Has anyone got any good tips on applying dichoric? I know you're supposed to keep the coated side out of the flame – but I have real trouble with the stuff and end up getting the white scum all the time – rats!

Kaz

Yep me too!!!
What I am going to try is chopping little bits off sticking them to the bead and then encasing.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Trudi

LOL –that was going to be my plan too  - cut them into strips – leave them on the torch mounted marver so it warms up – get the base bead nice and soft so I can push the dichoric  into it and then encase!

I tried looking at the pictures in Think Pink – and I did hold it high up and it did soften – but I had a job when I brought it back down to place on the bead  trying to pull it away was tricky!!!

Maybe I'm just crap at it! I'm booked on the Gravity & Glitter course, and I'll be paying close attention!!

June

Pat Frantz pushes the sides of the dichro down on the bead with tweezers, too, but didn't work that successfully for me.  PPP, me thinks! 

turnedlight

I've just been experimenting - I bought some bullseye dichroic cos it's in a nice thin strip, and some bullseye to put it on, and some effetre dichroic strips all from warm glass. I like the bullseye - as it's thin, it melts faster and you can get it on the bead sooner, but I don't really know what to do at the end where you melt off - maybe cut with shears? One of the beads I heated for too long, and the dichro turned white, but the others were ok.
Oh and the bullseye clear was beautiful stuff - no scum, easy to put on, gorgeous!

The effetre is nice too, although they put it on thicker glass, so you have to warm for longer, but I found it worked just as well - I encased with runny clear at the sides of the dichro before properly melting in.

(This is all on a minor and one oxycon)
I know there are others on here with more experience of dichro, just thought I'd share my experiment with you!
kathryn

Trudi

I wonder if the bullseye would work with effetre??? Or if it would be too much and crack????

June

Quote from: turnedlight on August 14, 2008, 02:31:07 PM
I've just been experimenting - I bought some bullseye dichroic cos it's in a nice thin strip, and some bullseye to put it on, and some effetre dichroic strips all from warm glass. I like the bullseye - as it's thin, it melts faster and you can get it on the bead sooner, but I don't really know what to do at the end where you melt off - maybe cut with shears?

On Pat Frantz's DVD, after she adds the dichro to the bead she flame cuts it slowly, sort of pulling it back and forth a bit and it does come away without trying to cut it, if that helps ? !!

turnedlight

I don't think you could mix bullseye dichro and effetre unless you used tiny bits like when you use frit of a different coe,  but then you wouldn't get the lovely dichro effects.. however you can buy single rods of bullseye, so you wouldn't need to spend much to give it a go..
kathryn

turnedlight

Quote from: June on August 14, 2008, 02:54:32 PM
Quote from: turnedlight on August 14, 2008, 02:31:07 PM
I've just been experimenting - I bought some bullseye dichroic cos it's in a nice thin strip, and some bullseye to put it on, and some effetre dichroic strips all from warm glass. I like the bullseye - as it's thin, it melts faster and you can get it on the bead sooner, but I don't really know what to do at the end where you melt off - maybe cut with shears?

On Pat Frantz's DVD, after she adds the dichro to the bead she flame cuts it slowly, sort of pulling it back and forth a bit and it does come away without trying to cut it, if that helps ? !!

I did flame cut it, but I should have a look at that video! Thanks.
kathryn