Essentials for starting fusing

Started by amber0307, August 07, 2008, 08:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amber0307

Hi

I'm about to start fusing glass, and have my kiln :)

Budget is very tight so I wondered if some fusing-geniuses out there could give me an idea of the absolutely essential bits of kit I will need to start fusing, and where I can get them from (and a rough price guide?)  Want to spend as little as possible so that I don't get told off for shopping, but really keen to get started!

Thanks!

x

Pam

Hi, I've done the basics of fusing you can see what I mean by looking at my website gallery
I probably possess the fewest of tools
1) Obviously Glass
2) Glass cutter (with oil) £25 ish Toyo
3) Straight egde rule £5
4) Running pliers (only if you do lots of straight lines) £5
5) Good quality  Breaking pliers £5 - £10 ish/ or Grozing pliers £5 ish
6) Safety Glasses- I have had glass in my eye so they are a must.
7) Kiln Wash or paper (to stop glass sticking to the shelf)

Anything else might make life easier but isn't essential to get started.
Try warm glass or Tempsford stained glass, both have web sites.

Hope this helps a little.
Pam

Zeldazog

That's about it (I don't even use my grozing pliers, unless I REALLY have to cos I hate them, but I am SO glad I bought cut runners), and I'd agree with Pam about Warm Glass or Tempsford, both good  suppliers - I tend to stay with Warm Glass as I have spent so much money with them I get discount..... and I know exactly where everything is on the site, which is easy to navigate .

What I would tell you about Warm Glass are these snippets:

- Your first order placed with them is carriage free - so get what you can!

- Toyo cutters are on offer at the moment, about £10 for a narrow head and £15 for pistol grip (+VAT)

-The student packs of glass are a great way to start:

The black is good value unless you want bigger pieces to work

For clear, I would actually go for a ten pack of Tekta 10cms squares - if you're making pendants, you'll probably want lots of clear for capping, and they are just right size for coasters.

They really are great value for the coloured student packs, in one pack you'll get plenty of different colours to play with - occasionally there will be a striker in there, so be prepared for surprises!

They do mixed packs of stringers and just recently added "frit stix" which is pack of 8 tubes of different varieties of frit - not mega cheap, but a good way to get variety of colours again, if you think you're likely to use it.

Another good source for buying i ToffeeGlass on Ebay - as the other two, great service, and they do half size pieces of glass, small packs of frit - postage for first item seems a bit high, but its only 10p additional item I think.

Have fun and don't forget to show us!

Katerina

all i wanted to ask!!!!
THank you !!!!

amber0307

Thank you guys, answered my question and more! :)

I'm off to online shop now.......... ;)

welchy

I would not want to be without my cutting mat - I bought it in the range in the arts and crafts section.
It has bottom and side measurements and grid squares, the only colour available is blue but that's my fav colour. Its non slip and the rubber surface is strong enough to stand up to any kind of sharp object that comes into contact with it. It cost about £5.00 and has lasted 4 years so far with plenty of wear still left in it.

You might just be able to make it out here in this picture

handmadeheaven.biz

i agree with all of the above (GREAT info Dawn!). i too have a cutting mat (A3 size) and would count it as a useful tool. i'd also add in a cloth to clean off any fingerprints pre-fire as they stay on the glass and once fired, you're stuck with them! any old bit of material will do (i use my dad's old pjs!!) but watch your fingers if it's a thin material. try an old teatowel.