Kilns and thunderstorms

Started by saffie, August 07, 2008, 12:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffie

I have an sc2 an last night made a small batch of beads. went to bed at 11.30 and about half hour later storm moved in!!! My kiln was just about to start ramp down. I remember reading that you should not turn kiln on in a storm but wasn't sure what to do if one kicked off whilst kiln was on so....off i plod up garden in dressing gown!!! to check instruction manual. It said you could leave the kiln running if a storm started after you start the kiln but it must be closely supervised!!!
I switched it off and stuck my beads into vermiculite! I will batch anneal them later but my question is (hooray i hear you say!) could i have left the kiln running and what is the worst that could happen!!! and should you always turn kiln off in the event of a storm?

thanks guys
Saffie

Juniper

I think it is the same as with any electric devise (TV, microwave oven etc.).
If the lightning by any chance hit the electric wires anywhere nearby, it might send strong pulses, that will burn fuses and other delicate parts.
Paula

Lee - Kilncare

O.k. pretty much corret there mate.

Scenario 1. The storm causes a power cut that last a few seconds, the kiln should carry on from where it left off and you won't know the difference. (not sure if SC2 has this facility, check you instructions).

2 The storm cuts the power for hours, you will have the same effect as just switching the kiln off.

3 The storm causes an electrical surge, depending on how good the protection is inside the kiln control system it can do anything from - nothing at all - to - a skipping of a segment in the control or another odd behaviour - to - complete control failure. Regardless of the amount of protection it IS always possible that an electrical storm can cause electronic failure. This could cause the kiln to cool or worse still go beserk.

Storm damage on kiln controllers does happen but is very rare. Over the last 20 odd years I can count on one hand the amount I have come across.

With regards to the kiln itself, there is little that can be damged apart from the obvious delicate parts.

Still, it is your call. I can't say get on with it as no doubt tomorrow your garage will be struck and your kiln burn out :-[ but I can tell you the chances are very very small

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

saffie

Thanks lee for getting back to me
Mmmm...can i plug it into a surge protector like i have my PC??? the theoretically if a strom did pitch up whilst i am having my many hours of beauty sleep(!!!) then it should be ok!!
Saffie

Lee - Kilncare

Not sure that you would get one that would be happy enough to carry the power mate. You can have a look about. To be honest, I really am not sure what the result would be sorry

TWITTER @kilncare
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

saffie

Hey no worries thanks for getting back to me. I guess the answer is to be cautious. That is a lot of money to lose if the controler gets a blast of leccy and don't work proper like!!!

Lee - Kilncare

TWITTER @kilncare

aoturoa

I'd get a surge protector and run a kiln through that just as I do my PC simply because they're both expense pieces of equipment... not that I have a kiln yet... but when I do...

Just on an aside, lightening goes for the highest point; so your chances of getting hit are fairly low anyway  :)

Lee - Kilncare

Yes mate, a fair comment, I'm just not sure if a surge protector would like the resistive load of a kiln running through it. It may well be sure, just not something I've come across before.

With regards to the lightening strike, the bolt could be a fair distance away as the resulting surge actually travels through the electrical cables.

TWITTER @kilncare

glassworks

apart from potential (even though remote) chance of direct damage by a spike, i suspect the advisory is down to the potential unpredictable results of the controller "re-setting" itself and either missing segments or starting again etc etc..

good general advice to simply shut it down and unplug it if an electrical storm threatens i guess?..

8) ??? we had a HUGE lighting storm through here a few days ago (resulted in deaths across the border in france i'm told) and we DID unplug the barn and all attached equipment - and just enjoyed the spectacle..

aoturoa

Well yes, turning off is always the best course of action.

Lee - Kilncare

yes probably correct mate, just remember to also unplug, storm surges can effect electronics even if they are just turned off, the only 100% safe way is to disconnect them totally :)

TWITTER @kilncare

Pat from Canvey

I learnt to my cost that surge protectors come in different "strengths". Some are able to withstand a lot more power surge than others. We recently has a very short power cut while I was on the web. The computer was plugged into a surge protector but, before I could turn anything off, the power came back on again and fried the computer's power supply. Cost £60 to replace. Google surge protectors and get some information on the different types.

Billie

Quote from: glassworks on August 07, 2008, 03:45:58 PM
apart from potential (even though remote) chance of direct damage by a spike, i suspect the advisory is down to the potential unpredictable results of the controller "re-setting" itself and either missing segments or starting again etc etc..

good general advice to simply shut it down and unplug it if an electrical storm threatens i guess?..

8) ??? we had a HUGE lighting storm through here a few days ago (resulted in deaths across the border in france i'm told) and we DID unplug the barn and all attached equipment - and just enjoyed the spectacle..

The lightning and rain storms here are incredible - not a nice time to be surrounded by trees.  Had to drive back with the girls through an awful one Tuesday.  The rain was coming down so hard at one point I couldn't see through the windscreen so we had to pull over and watched the lightning cracking over some wind turbines in the distance. 

We go around unplugging everything too, and if I have beads baking at the time into vermiculite they go.  Had a storm last night and suspect from the sky this morning we're in for another  :-\