What is the best tool for creasing petals and poking holes?

Started by HelenV, August 05, 2008, 05:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billie

Two of the tools have points.  One is longer than the other.  I use the longer one for swirling  :)

sparrow

You do? You don't use stringer? Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting! (*wishes she wasn't at work and could scuttle into the garage to play*)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Billie

dinah46

wow - I never thought of swirling with pointy brass tool, only used stringer, must have a go.

I'm stuck in work though, just like you Sabine, and by the time I get home will have forgotten what it was I was going to try ::)

Trudi

Is it just the round point you use to swirl with??? I wouldn't have thought it would "grip" the glass!! Wasn't sure if you meant that you used the flat edged bit!! I've only used stringers!
Quote from: dinah46 on August 06, 2008, 09:53:26 AM
wow - I never thought of swirling with pointy brass tool, only used stringer, must have a go.

I'm stuck in work though, just like you Sabine, and by the time I get home will have forgotten what it was I was going to try ::)

Snap! Memory like a fish me!

Billie

Hmmmm.... well I can only explain what I do (which may meet with shouts of "oh no!"  ;D ;D ;D)

I melt the area to molten, remove from flame, apply the tool which is made hot by the glass, leave for a second, as glass and tool cools I twist as I remove - just a little flick of the wrist.  Et voila!  When swirling, I make the area a lot hotter than when I'm plunging.  Anyway, have a play and see what you think. This doesn't work with my tungsten proddy tool.

turnedlight

Quote from: Redhotsal on August 05, 2008, 09:03:55 PM
NEVER put any steel tools directly in the flame. This will KILL them.

To use any steel tools like your stainless steel pick or dental picks heat up the bead, take it out of the heat and then use the tool. This way the tool won't stick to the bead and your ends won't go black. If you tool doesn't make enough impression you'll need to reheat your glass but resist the temptation to poke, prod or rake while in the flame, and then your tools will last forever.

Tungsten is the only metal which won't stick to the glass - and a tungsten pick is brill for making holes in things, but you can manage without. Keep a jamjar of water nearby to quench your tools if they get too hot.

Thanks for that! I wish I'd known before I wasted a couple. I had actually figured to keep them out of the flame by the third dental pick! ;D But I did like raking in the flame - maybe I should get a tungsten one?
kathryn