What is the best tool for creasing petals and poking holes?

Started by HelenV, August 05, 2008, 05:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HelenV

I have read a few tutorials about making creased petals - a few people use a "razor" tool - does anyone use one or know what they are like compared to a rake/pick?

When I`m trying flowers and wanting to poke a hole in the middle I`m using my rake tool from Martin which I got in my starter pack but the glass is sticking to it and then as I want to pull it away the glass goes with it and distorts my petals!!!!!  >:( Is there a better way?

Helen x

www.helenvanekdesign.co.uk
www.etsy.com/shop/helenvanekdesign

Josephine

I like to use a razor tool for petals, I got it from Martin.

I have a lovely tungsten pick that I use for poking holes. It has a wooden handle, can't remember where I got it from.Alternatively Beady sam does some nice brass tools.

If your tools are sticking they are probably getting too hot or they have a  tiny bit of glass stuck to them that is catching your glass. Try heating them a little and then plunging them into cold water to get rid of any glass. Whatever you do I think you will find that they need replacing now and then. I have some that are sticking now. They aren't very expensive so it might be worth starting again and trying to make sure you don't actually heat the tool in the flame at all and use cold water to cool them as you work.

turnedlight

I bought a set of the dental picks, but the ends go black very quickly, and discolour the beads.. probably my not using it properly.. anyway, if you find the pick seems to stick, just blow on it a little and when it cools a bit it should come out.
I haven't got a razor tool but I use one of those knives like a scalpel, which you get in craft shops, the blade is replaceable. I think it's great, the other thing I have is 'feeler gauges' which I think must be for the car but I nicked some (from the junk drawer!), the thin ones are great for a knife edge.. ;D
kathryn

Trudi

Agree with Josephine - your pokey tool must be getting a little too warm - it's easy to do. Try and keep it away from the flame while you're spot heating your bead!!

For creases I have a brass pokey tool from Beady sam, but I used to use a stanley knife - works just as well!!

HelenV

Thanks for that - off to try the stanley knife........................................ ;D

sparrow

I used a Stanley knife for ages, then recently bought a razor tool......the Stanley knife worked fine (I made sure I got an all-metal one, as I'm prone to randomly drop molten glass rods onto my tools....), I just found the handle on the razor tool easier to use. You can still upgrade if you decide flowers are the way to go, though :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

♥♥Tan♥♥

For me a full selection of beadysams pokey proddy tools and then fill the rest of the bag up with FRIT!!!

HelenV

♥♥Tan♥♥

Its a cunning one and look on it as .............your actually saving money by combining postage ;)

dinah46

Can't praise the pokey proddy tools enough, wouldn't be without them ;D

Redhotsal

NEVER put any steel tools directly in the flame. This will KILL them.

To use any steel tools like your stainless steel pick or dental picks heat up the bead, take it out of the heat and then use the tool. This way the tool won't stick to the bead and your ends won't go black. If you tool doesn't make enough impression you'll need to reheat your glass but resist the temptation to poke, prod or rake while in the flame, and then your tools will last forever.

Tungsten is the only metal which won't stick to the glass - and a tungsten pick is brill for making holes in things, but you can manage without. Keep a jamjar of water nearby to quench your tools if they get too hot.

beadysam

Well I'm going to have to make myself some more pokey proddy pushy tools cos last week at Di Easts, Julie Denton pinched my set from me! LOL! ;D  Brass on glass is class!  It grabs then releases, but like all metal it gets hot so be careful out there... ;)

Billie

Quote from: tanok on August 05, 2008, 07:23:00 PM
For me a full selection of beadysams pokey proddy tools and then fill the rest of the bag up with FRIT!!!

I use Sam's brassy tools for all my plunging and creasing.  I use them for all the creases on my vines

and for making swirls

and raking

and sculpting

In fact, I'm wanting a second set so I have a spare.  I live in fear of anything happening to the ones I have  :D

dinah46

Quote from: beadysam on August 05, 2008, 10:31:39 PM
.......  Brass on glass is class!  ..... ;)

Oh I like the catch phrase, do you use it in your pokey proddy tool promotion ;D If not you should :D :D

Trudi

Quote from: Billie on August 06, 2008, 07:50:15 AM
Quote from: tanok on August 05, 2008, 07:23:00 PM

and for making swirls

Oh which one do you use fot the swirls?? Pray tell!