Do you work at your kitchen/dining room table?

Started by GoodMonkey, August 01, 2008, 08:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMonkey

If yes what ventilation set up have you got ?  Im sure mine is very inadequate and I would like some advice on how to set up something temporary that I can dismantle after working.

Thanks
Shelley

GoodMonkey

What?   Nobody but me works at the kitchen table then?   LOL

clasicat

Meeeeeeeeeeeee I work on my kitchen worktop ( the kitchen is knackered btw lol ) I just have all the windows open plus a fan plus I have a carbon dioxide detector fitted to the wall - it's not perfect but i have nowhere else to go :-\
Claire x

Zeldazog

Well, I do too Shelley, but as you know, I don't lampwork - so I can't give any relevant comments.

I just leave shards of glass all over the place.....

TiaraHelen

I do, but  I think my ventilation is prob. inadequate, so I didn't respond.  I have the french door open, and the sash, but if I open the back door, it gives such good ventilation the doors all slam, and would probably blow the flame out if they didn't so that doesn't work. I do have a carbon monoxide alarm as well, which has never even given the slightest beep. I bought a really cheap fan (not an extractor fan, just for blowing air about), and I intended to have it blow the air towards the open french door, but there's nowhere to store it downstairs and I have been using it in the bedrooms upstairs since it's been hot. 
I guess I should improve the situation but I'm getting so little time to torch at the moment it doesn't feel crucial! 
As for shards of glass, I insist everyone wears slippers or flipflops now in the kitchen because I'm always finding bits of stringer on the floor...  and I found a melted bit of laminate last week but don't tell my husband.

Let  us know what you decide to do, maybe I'll copy your good ideas.
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

Kaylee

I do at the moment (kitchen table) but my ventilation is probably inadequate too...  :(  I am next to french doors and have one open if possible although if it's windy I have to leave it shut to avoid flame blowing sideways at random intervals.  I have the kitchen window open and the dining room windows open to try and get a through-draft.  After working I open the french door wide and try to clear out any fumes... nothing ever registered on my carbon monoxide detector either.  Haven't set up anything better as DH supposed to be building my summerhouse but it's still in pieces in the garage at the mo with no target date for building. 

If you have any good ideas I would be interested too!

GoodMonkey

Well I'm about the same as you.  I have the back door and kitchen windows open, also the integral garage door and a fan and the cooker hood going full blast (when I can bear the noise!).

I just think it isn't really good enough.  I don't torch as often as I would like but sometimes a few hours slip by and I try to stop and walk outside etc.

I do get fed up with the draught though and can't do decent stringer work as my torch flame moves around with the draught. 

I too am waiting for my husband to sort out a studio but I fear it will be a long time coming - he is sooooo busy at work at the moment and when he has got time other things take priority.

I was wondering if it would be possible to fix up a hydroponics fan and have a hose attached to it to take the fumes away through the cat flap or something!  Then when my studio (for studio read  space in garage or a shed)  it will still hopefully be useful and not money wasted. 

I worry about working with silver/silver glass and the fumes they give off consequently I don't work with silver very often and I want to try the triton glass.

Sooooo lets hope someone comes up with a workable suggestion for us.

As for glass shards I have a small hand held hoover thingy which I use to try to get them after a session but you can never get all of the little buggas can you?  Theres always one waiting to jump out and bite you on the foot! 

lemon kitten

I work at a converted computer desk upstairs in my spare room.  The only ventilation I have is a window which stays wide open whilst I'm working.  I only use a hottie at the moment, when I'm really gooooood I will invest in a proper propane/oxygen set up.....but not yet....finances will not allow at the moment so I'm stuck with the hottie for now.  I read in Corinna's book (Passing the Flame) that if you use silver leaf (which I have just started experimenting with......what a tiral and error THAT is truning out to be!! LOL) then when you melt it onto the glass blob you should be wearing a respirator!!!  Or at least hold your breath!  For GOODNESS SAKE! a) I could'nt hold my breath for that long!! and b) I've not noticed any fumes coming off the stuff anyway....besides that the fumes might give me a good trip...LOL

Janey
Never stand up in a canoe!

Caroline

i have a fantastic ventilation solution that my Hubby did for me as we rent so i can't drill into the walls, it's just 3 pieces on chip board with a cooker hood in the top, when we moved recently it all went flat in a pile but it might give some of you an idea for ventilation, here's a picture:

clasicat

Claire x

GoodMonkey

Tis a brill idea Caroline.  Is it very noisy?  I got fed up with my HH because of the noise and I can hear the radio now LOL

Janey - it doesn't matter what torch you work on the toxins are still there and you can't see them - scary!

We really do need to get this sorted girls for our own sakes  :)

HelenV

I`m looking at getting a hydrophonic fan and clipping it to the end of my table. I work in a garage but its rented and so I can`t attach anything to anywhere. Ebay have some good ones and they look as if they would attach easily.

I wear a mask (FPP3) when I work with frit, enamel or any silvery stuff but I think I would continue to do so even with active ventilation. I like the idea that the fan sits near your torch and takes any nasties away rather than have then pass through your breathing zone en route to the hood. I know I`m OTT!! 

www.helenvanekdesign.co.uk
www.etsy.com/shop/helenvanekdesign