enamels on black base?

Started by bubblefizz, July 21, 2008, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubblefizz

Ive seen a few black based beads with enamel on them (i even saw some with red), buit when i try it, it doesnt show up at all :-\
any ideas what i need to do?

♥♥Tan♥♥

Are you putting on enough layers?

Les

Some enamel colours are transparent too.... in powder form they don't look it, so it's best to test colours on a plain white bead, I find :)

HTH

xx

Stacy

I had a white which was driving me round the bend until i worked out it was a strange kind of clear.

*rowanberry*

Angie, I had a similar thing going on myself trying to put enamels on dark red - I was just putting on transparent colours and they werent showing - oops. When I switched to making sure i was using opaques they showed.
Claire

bubblefizz

oh right now i see  ;D so it looks like im uising a transparent, will need to check the batch of enamels.
thanks ladies! ;)

♥♥Tan♥♥

Taste em, its a good way of telling the difference ;)

IM JOKING!!

handmadeheaven.biz

Quote from: tanok on July 21, 2008, 05:47:14 PM
Taste em, its a good way of telling the difference ;)

IM JOKING!!

hahahahahahahaha!!

bubblefizz

so when would u use transparent enamel? ???

*rowanberry*

Quote from: bubblefizz on July 21, 2008, 08:23:29 PM
so when would u use transparent enamel? ???

A coloured transparent you could use over whites, pale opaques and pale transparents. When I've made enamels blends I like to do half opaque/half transparent for good texture. As for the clear transparents, my brain cant think of a reason to use it - maybe in a blend? I dunno.
Claire

bubblefizz

ebj

Reds are known to be hard to work with - even on silver. Torching them is very, very hot so some burn out to black. For my silver work I use transparents - on copper beads I use mostly opaque and on lampwork beads I keep to opaque too, but generally over white. There is also flux in enamels which looks white in powder form but is clear and is used as a base or for counter enamelling on metals. I am no expert - am just leaning. There is a whole other world with enamell!     
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com