shell beads ;-(

Started by flowerjasper, July 10, 2008, 01:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flowerjasper

help!
i have been making shell beads, but the frills keep coming off in the vermiculite!
am i making the frill too thin?
sandy

saffie

Sandy, sorry can't help you but thought i would make you chuckle instead. I made 1 shell bead and i was right chuffed with it not good but not bad first attempt. i showed it to my daughter who said oh dear mummy did that one go a bit wrong then!!!
I thought it looked just like a shell!!! kids eh!!! Hope you get some advice, maybe a picture would help!
Saffie

beads-on-toast

sounds like they are too thin, mine are usually 1-2mm thick and very close to the original bead, but i anneal as i go so i'm not sure if mine would do that in vermiculite

Stacy

the bead you made at mine went into verm Anna and it came out fine.

beads-on-toast

AH! yeah that's true....

post a pic and we'll have a look see if we can resolve this

flowerjasper

its happened three times, i threw the others away, this one broke the morning after!
i have one left for the swap which i will anneal and hope for the best!

beads-on-toast

which glass are you using?

Do you flame anneal through the whole bead again, it maybe getting too cold when you are shaping creating a stress on the thinned out glass...

not sure tho

flowerjasper

that one was pale pink effetre and 104 frit, but it happened with other glass,
will have another go tonight and make sure i warm it all through ,
sandy

beads-on-toast

Do you add the frill on after shaping the main beads? or do you scupt out the frill?

does that make any sense?

flowerjasper

i followed the tut that jo posted , and pull the frill out of the bead,
yes it made sense!

beads-on-toast

try making the frill a little thicker next time and give it a good old flame anneal next time.

HTH