Brand new SC2 kiln which seems to be a duffer!

Started by Mand, June 26, 2008, 06:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mand

Oh and good luck with your kiln ;)   Hope it has power. There is some really helpful advice under kilncare on how to batch anneal and anneal as you go. It sort of makes sense, but until I can actually get my control panel lit to say "Idle" and "ramp" etc I won't know. Let us know how you get on then Vicki. TTFN

Lee - Kilncare

Mand, I wouldn't reccomend your hubby does anything with that voltmeter what-so-ever!!!!!!!!

The way the SC2 is wired, (unless they have altered it very recently) when you remove the back plate you also remove the protective earth from the kiln which means hubby could be messing around in a metal kiln with no earth. If it is that it is a loose wire and Hubby knocks it against the frame then....booooom!

Leave it to Rob if you want my advice!!!!!

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Mand

Hmm, maybe I should get him to increase his life insurance policy then!!!  ;)

But seriously, thanks for your sage advice Lee. I've just told him what you've told me and he's promised not to touch it. We'll let Rob expertly examine it and I'm sure he'll spot the problem quickly and will have it sorted in no time.

Thanks.

Mand

firedinglass

I had problems with my SC2 when i first had one and John at paragon couldn't have been more helpful  In the end I had to return it and have another one delivered at no extra cost and no trouble with new one. Very frustrating but all resolved in the end. Hope you manage to sort out your problems soon!

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Mand

Well, the kiln's back in it's box and I've just taped it all up ready for City Link to collect tomorrow to take back to Rob.  :(  Ho hum. Just have to wait and see what he says now.

Mand

Yipee! My "Kill" is back and it works! DH has got it on a burn off. Yahoo! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Good ole Rob!

turnedlight

kathryn

firedinglass

So pleased you managed to sort it out, I know how you felt when it wouldn't work having had the same thing happen!  It reinforced my faith in human nature that it was all sorted so quickly.... happy beading! :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

julieHB

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Robin

hi everyone

well, having been 'on call' many days from 7:00 until 22:00, i did indeed honeymoon with petra. however, after looking after 15 guests for a week we just managed a (sunny) weekend in torquay - with our four-year old and our dog.

the kiln in question had an internal push connector that pushed on and, for some reason, came off during shipping. it was fixed as soon as i could manage and i'm sorry it coincided with our visit to the penguins.

i'd like to clear up a few things, contrary to 'advice' that appears from other kiln suppliers. paragon kilns are simple to use, robust, versatile, inexpensive, and easy to repair. most repairs can be done with a philips/pozidriv screwdriver.

we're the prime UK distributor for paragon kilns, advance kilns, the kitiki minikiln, and the ultralite. we're happy to supply you if you want to resell.

i'm happy to talk anyone through repairs. a multimeter costs 9.95, is easy to use, and you can use it to test other things: bulbs, batteries, toys, fuses, christmas lights ... the outlay might be better than any delay sending the kiln back, especially if it's over a weekend.

using a meter is simple, just don't wave the prongs around when the kiln is on. i'm happy to explain to anyone how the programmer, thermocouple, relay, and element work together. there are programming and repair videos on www.electrickilns.co.uk - click 'more ...' then 'tv'. or call me on 01929 4577137. it's easier to talk about kilns on the phone rather than by email. if you need/want to send the kiln back, just call or email: mail@cherryheaven.co.uk.

we have a low number of failures/faults with Paragon kilns but, to put this in perspective, a kiln runs at up to 1290C, not 250C like your kitchen oven. it's a bright orange/red inside. things expand/contract. paint discolours. firebricks get hairline cracks. it's a tool not a gift box.

using your kiln is pretty easy. like your tv, don't just press buttons at random. remember it's hot, and, if you take it apart, unplug it.

thanks

rob

julieHB

Wow - someone who'd actually trust me to do some initial fault-finding/repair myself!!  I'm impressed, Rob, and will be calling if in need of advice.  So far, though, my little paragon sc2 has behaved very nicely indeed  ;D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

flowerjasper

so has mine which i got from cherry heaven, its been a little star  :D

Vicki

Quote from: julieHB on July 03, 2008, 08:42:06 PM
So far, though, my little paragon sc2 has behaved very nicely indeed  ;D

mine too & if anything does ever go wrong with it I only have to drive for 10 minutes to get it looked at....I'm never going to take mine apart, I'd lose bits & cock it up :D

Robin

hi

people have an irrational fear of electricity. ok, don't stand in a puddle, don't touch a water tap whilst touching an opened kiln, wear trainers, and don't poke the kiln inside just to see what happens. worst case, most people just get a jolt.

i have never heard of anyone getting a shock from a kiln: a toaster is more dangerous and you can cause more damage with a strimmer, a wallpaper steamer, an angle grinder, etc etc etc.

i'm happy to tallk to anyone during an attempt to test or repair a kiln - 01929 477137. yes, you might need a £9.95 voltmeter, but it's a handy thing to have around.

over the years, lots of people have successfully repaired their own kilns, especially as there are videos on www.electrickilns.co.uk. if you can fit a towel rail or wire a plug, you're half way there.

if you want to send a paragon kiln back:

call me before 11:00. pack it in a box. it'll be picked up by city link. if i get it the following morning it will usually be returned to you on the following day.

over 5 years, we've sold 000s of kilns. re spares: about 15 sc2 muffles (elements in a ceramic box) and 4 other elements, 2 programmers, 13 thermocouples, and 5 relays. 5 kilns were replaced by paragon due to a minor temporary manufacturing problem. a good reliability record?

petra's sc2 has run faultlessly for 4+ years during continual classes in Art Clay and for extended personal use.

thx

rob

Mand

Yep, Rob does 5 star customer service. One very happy customer.  ;D