what kind of propane?

Started by beadybee, July 04, 2008, 06:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beadybee

Sorry if this is a really dumb question but I keep reading that you can use a bulk tank of propane for a hot head - but is it a special mix of propane or any old propane? I've been using the Mapp tanks but I live in Spain and they're really expensive and last about 2 minutes. I got all the equipment to attach to a propane tank - lots of them in Spain 'cos we don't have mains gas -and was so excited when I got that first flame lit. but i noticed straight away the flame was much more of a blue flame than I usually get and my beads came out dirty and discoloured. I went back to the books which seem to say I need a 'brazing' mix not just propane although other articles say a propane tank like you'd use on your BBQ is okay. what's the difference and have I got the wrong one?? It's all still a bit of a mystery to me so any adice wuld be really welcome. My beads aren't the best but it doesn't help when you can't tell what colour they are!!  :'(

Bluebottle

Hi there is only one kind of Propane in tanks the other stuff comes in little bottles and is expensive as you found out ::) A bluer flame indicates it is cleaner and possibly slightly hotter (which is probably why it is burning your beads)try working further down the flame ie away from the torch,It isn't easy in this type of flame as at this distance it tends to go transparent it might help if you darken the room a little or put something behind the flame to make it stand out a bit more. Didys can make things worse as they are really meant for use with oxy/propane torches which give a sodium flare,  I get this type of problem as my beading space has a tranparent roof and daylight can also be a real pain  8)  HTH

Mike   ;D

Soo

I think MAPP gas is the same as LPG but I'd happily stand to be corrected on that. Shortly after converting to bulk fuel when I was using my Hothead, the second 12kg tank I bought was Flo Gas - LPG - by mistake in England. They are the same colour and shape as Propane tanks and it was only when it wasn't burning so hot as my previous tank that I realised my mistake.

Pat from Canvey

According to http://www.bernzomatic.dk/downloads/Mapp_MSDS.pdf Mapp gas has 2 constituents:-
SUBSTANCE                CONCENTRATION
Liquified
petroleum gas                    56%
Methyl
acetylene -
propadiene                         44%

While the composition of propane is
Propane Gas       0.5 - 0.8% Butane (C4H10)   2.0 - 2.2% Ethane (C2H6)   73 - 97 %  Propane (C3H8)     
C refers to the number of Carbon atoms and H the number of hydrogen atoms linked in their respective chains. Now you're all infinitely better informed, aren't you.
Sorry, I did A level Chemistry about 40 years ago  :D  :D

Shirley

Flogas do a straight propane and it is fine. I have two tanks - flogas and calor and alternate between the two.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

beadybee

Thank you! I've just looked at the flame sideways and it went on for ever but the end was virtually invisible! Now I realise I'm going to try and work much higher up the flame tomorrow and see if that helps. Having used Mapp gas which really looses it's pressure real quick, I've been used to working quite near the base of the flame. It sounds like I may actually have the right gas but need to alter my working methods. Info much appreciated ;D

Bluebottle

Quote from: Soo on July 04, 2008, 10:29:56 AM
I think MAPP gas is the same as LPG but I'd happily stand to be corrected on that. Shortly after converting to bulk fuel when I was using my Hothead, the second 12kg tank I bought was Flo Gas - LPG - by mistake in England. They are the same colour and shape as Propane tanks and it was only when it wasn't burning so hot as my previous tank that I realised my mistake.

Mapp gas is propane with the addition of a percentage of Acetylene to make it burn a bit hotter HTH

Mike  ;D

PS now you are even more educated ::) ;D ::) ;D

beadybee

mike - thankyou so much ;D You were right. I've spent today experimenting and you were right I was burning the beads 'cos the flame was so hot! I've had to move right back which is taking some getting used to but has solved my problem. The end of the flame is really hard to see, if not impossible. I just keep moving the mandrel around until I find it. So it turns out I did have the right propane tank after all - and I was about to trail around the various suppliers demanding that they give me some 'special' propane! Thanks again, great advice ;D

Shirley

Try to focus on what the glass is doing, rather than the end of the flame. You'll soon get the feel for how quickly it melts in different spots. The tanks can vary a bit, so be prepared to move around :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Bluebottle

Quote from: beadybee on July 05, 2008, 06:23:11 PM
mike - thankyou so much ;D You were right. I've spent today experimenting and you were right I was burning the beads 'cos the flame was so hot! I've had to move right back which is taking some getting used to but has solved my problem. The end of the flame is really hard to see, if not impossible. I just keep moving the mandrel around until I find it. So it turns out I did have the right propane tank after all - and I was about to trail around the various suppliers demanding that they give me some 'special' propane! Thanks again, great advice ;D

No problem I'm glad it worked out OK it's not often I'm right ;D ::) ;D ::)

Mike   ;D