Glasses?

Started by Mand, July 02, 2008, 06:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mand

I have some didymium glasses for torchwork (not Torchwood! :D) and wonder if they are strong enough for use when peeking inside my new working kiln thro' the little window to view annealing beads. - Or do I need some super-duper dark special anti-soda flare defelcting jobbies instead? 

turnedlight

The beads aren't as hot in the kiln, there's no bright glow, so I've always looked in just with didys.
kathryn

glassworks

Mand

Zeldazog

I don't know what Didymium actually shield from, but I remembered reading this by Brad Walker on Warm Glass

"It's best to wear protective glasses.  Not those clear plastic things you wore in chemistry lab (or was that wood shop?), not even those expensive didymium glasses some glassworkers use:  the best glasses for kiln-workers are ones that shield your eyes from infrared rays.  Frequent exposure to infrared rays, which glass gives off once it reaches around 900 degrees Fahrenheit (480 Celsius), can cause cataracts or other eye problems.  To prevent that, wear glasses that block infrared rays.  Welder's #3 lenses (or even # 2.5 or #2) are just about right, and very inexpensive"

I don't know if he means they are better than diddy's or just that you don't NEED diddys that these are fine - I have seen them for about £3 somewhere, I will let you know when I remember where!