Problem bubbles

Started by Ilona, June 29, 2008, 05:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilona

I have been meaning to post this for a while.

I have been having problems winding on to the  manderel, instantly I get a bubble and then more appear then these burst. It was driving me mad and I couldn't understand why it had started happening. I mentioned it to Kaz a couple of months ago, and she said could it be my bead release?
I had started with a new bead release that I have not been happy with due to it being so runny. Now when I use my mandrels I have to make them red hot in the flame, and then I can get a bead ok without the bubbles. If i just gentle heat them as normal then the bubbles appear. ??? ??? ???
Has anyone else had this problem with bead release, mine is Foster fire and is not cheap. I am not sure I would buy it again. :(

afina

Hi! This is normal with Foster Fire. If you don't heat it until red, there will still be some gases coming out of the release which cause the bubbles. But Foster Fire is a good release, once you manage it right (heat until glowing red, then never let it get too cool again) it will work great!
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

Amber

I didn't know that! I've been getting bubbles too; at least I now know why. Thanks!  :)

Mary

Warm the whole length of the release too, not just the spot you're going to wind glass on. Moisture will wick along if it's not all bone dry.

garishglobes

My Foster Fire does that too! I'd always assumed it was just our damp house! The bubbles do go if you heat the mandrel well before winding the glass - and yes, the bead release is great once its been heated.

beadysam

Yep, I used to have the same problem too. Its worse in winter when the shed is damp but just makes sure you chase out all the moisture and you'll be fine.  FF is a superb bead release, and this is an easy problem to overcome, so just hang in there. ;)

Ilona

Wow, I am so pleased I mentioned this :) It was driving me mad, I thought I had started with a really bad habit and it was getting worse :)

Its great to know its not only me with the bubbles :)

mizgeorge

I'm SO happy to see this - I thought it was just my newbie numptiness at work again.....

Dee

Quote from: mizgeorge on June 29, 2008, 10:44:03 PM
I'm SO happy to see this - I thought it was just my newbie numptiness at work again.....

Exactly what I was thinking!

bubblefizz

ive just started with this problem in the last couple of days :-\
so thanks for the info

June

I also have this problem but hadn't taken much notice really as they tend to pop while winding the glass on !

Trudi

I have noticed this problem recently too!! I had not long changed from HH to Dual fuel - and I'm coming to the end of my tank, and I was wondering if that was the problem!!!! I will try tbis out and report back!!!

Cheers!

Trudi

Well I tried this out - made 9 beads (wasn't sure if the glass was getting hotter & hotter causing bubbles) - and it seems to be ok now!! - she says fingers crossed!!

I recently changed from a HH to dual fuel - and a little while ago for the first time ever I had a mandrel break on me dropping off!! Eeek - I thought that perhaps moving to the new torch I'd let it get too hot - and I probably wasn't heating the mandrel enough!! Guess I was being a bit cautious!

But thanks for the advice!!

beadammed

Thought it was just me!!!!!!
Geraldine
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/strikingglassstudios