Propane Leak

Started by Im a glassy babe, June 18, 2008, 08:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhotsal

It's probably the oxycon, not the propane. Once you've set your propane regulator you shouldn't have to keep changing it and if you're changing it as the oxycon changes you won't know if you're coming or going.

The oxycons are notorious for having a settling down period. One of mine settles in a minute or so but the other one takes a good ten minutes to sort itself out. Keep an eye on the little floating ball on the oxycon. If it's bobbing around then your flame will be all over the place. I try not to have my oxycons set at maximum output as they don't seem to like that. I run at about 4- 4.5 litres a minute.

When you first turn on the oxycon you WILL get a surge of oxygen after about 30 secs which is often enough to blow out the propane. This surge goes as quickly as it comes and then the oxygen starts to build up gradually as the internal oxycon reservoir fills. If you are changing your propane reg while all this is happening you will have all sorts of interesting flames! But by all means adjust the propane knob on the torch to suit.

Im a glassy babe

Quote from: julieHB on June 19, 2008, 11:33:05 PM
Hi, I might be totally off mark here, but according to what I have read, it is quite normal to have to adjust the torch dials until the torch is properly "worked in" (in lack of a more proper phrase).  I don't know which torch you have, but I have a couple of month old bobcat which has not been used that much, and I still have to turn up the propane (on the torch) after a bit of torching.  I just adjust the propane, keeping the oxygen constant, and off i go again - have never given it a second thought...do you think I should??  ;D

Thanks for that Julie,

Exactly the same torch as me, mine a couple of weeks old.  I do keep oxygen constant at 4.5 ltrs, but thought it strange to keep altering propane, but if that is what everyone does then great!  Was thinking that something was wrong along the way.  It has improved since we fiddled with the regulator, so can get about 1/2 hour before any adjusting (the torch that is, I'm not adjusting the regulator).  Does that sound about right according to yours?

Thanks Sally.  The oxycon seems steady to be honest.  I do watch the ball and doesn't seem to be bobbing about it definitely stays at 4.5 ltrs all the time, that's why I thought Propane problem. 

Looking back over the last few replies, a few of you seem to adjust regularly.  I just presumed once the torch was lit and steady, it would stay the same throughout the session.  I may be completely wrong.  When I did question this I was told it shouldn't need to be adjusted on the torch, but looks like many of you do.

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm maybe panicking over nothing then????

Vicki x

julieHB

Ok, here's a quote from Corina tettinger's website, where she reviews several types of torches:

.....Con: While I love my GTT (Glass Torch Technologies, manufacturer, the two most adorable twins in the world, Willie and Wallie) torches, they have several "issues". In the first 6-8 month, depending on how much you work, the valves re-adjust themselves...I think it has to do with the material that is used, it expands for a while, until it's broken in. That means, you have to add propane or oxygen while you work, because the flame gets smaller and smaller.....

Does that reassure you?  It does me  ;D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

ThermalShock

Quote from: julieHB on June 20, 2008, 01:58:22 PM
Ok, here's a quote from Corina tettinger's website, where she reviews several types of torches:

.....Con: While I love my GTT (Glass Torch Technologies, manufacturer, the two most adorable twins in the world, Willie and Wallie) torches, they have several "issues". In the first 6-8 month, depending on how much you work, the valves re-adjust themselves...I think it has to do with the material that is used, it expands for a while, until it's broken in. That means, you have to add propane or oxygen while you work, because the flame gets smaller and smaller.....

Does that reassure you?  It does me  ;D

Well that certainly reassures me.  I bought my Bobcat at Towcester and I have to admit after I have lit the torch, after a few minutes (and continually every 10-15 minutes or so) I have to keep tweeking my propane knob as my flame has "shrunk".  Although annoying, I am not entirely sure there is anything that can be done about it.  My hubby assures me that our regulator etc... are all set correctly - and it didn't happen with my hothead, so I am guessing it was a Bobcat (or torches that have duel fuel) issue.  ::)
My one fear is that when I die, my husband will find out what I really spent on glass!!

Im a glassy babe

Quote from: julieHB on June 20, 2008, 01:58:22 PM

That's great, thanks for your help!  Does definitely reassure me.  I will take off my worry hat, and be putting the glass melting one back on!

Glad to know others with the bobcat do the same.

Thanks everyone!!

dangerousbead

A massive THANK YOU to the lovely Mark,(Kaz's DH)  for the huge favour, won't say what it was here in case they all want it.
And no, there are no lines to read between here all you cheeky folks, it was glass and gas.

Kaz

He says you're welcome and he quite enjoyed it really! ;)
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Billie

OOooooooh!  I've seen the type of thing some people make with glass and gas  ;) :D :D :D :D