DOES ANYONE USE NATURAL GAS TO TORCH?

Started by Diane, June 16, 2008, 08:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane

I was thinking about going over to natural gas for my beadmaking.  I don't notice the smell from propane when I'm working in my studio but when I go out and come back in again it's horrible.  I've done quite a bit of torching lately and  also notice I have a sore throat quite a lot - not really bad but enough to notice. I was wondering if anyone out there used natural gas and what they thought about it. I do use ventilation but the propane seems to 'hang ' about.
Diane x

glassworks

natural gas is a lower pressure and i suggest that you look around for the implications of that.. i know that the bethlehem torches (the betta particularly) and the mega minor are both designed for use with natural gas - i am not sure about other makes/models... i also seem to remember that natural gas has a lower calorific value than propane - but i cannot swear to that.. this simply means that the torch will need to be "tuned" differently to get the same flame.. in principle there is no problem at all - and you can get your local gas chappy to plumb you in!.. the savings in fuel costs will be high! ;-)

fionaess

That is a really interesting question Diane... I do hope that you find a definitive yes or no answer...  I'll see if I can find out more  :D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

fionaess

beadysam

I'd be a bit worried if I could smell propane at any time at all..... :o

Kaz

I get the smell too. You can only smell it when you go out for a while and then go back in - it's smells like a swimming pool. My DH is a gas engineer and my pipes etc. are all checked for leaks. Plus I have ventilation and an extractor.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

firedinglass

I assumed that being able to smell it was normal!  After a session beadmaking i can't smell it in my studio but when i go into the room above there is a very strong smell, especially if I have been reducing a lot(not my waistline unfortunately) !!!! I use an oxycon and propane-should i be worried? I have a Carbon monoxide alarm and it seems OK.

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

beadysam

The only times I have ever been able to smell it is when I've changed cylinders, or when I first turn on the propane in the seconds before I light it.  Oh, and I smelt it at a friends house when she had a leak, and at the flame off when people hadn't turned off torches properly.  Apart from that, never. I'd be worried if I could smell it. Even   on the 2-3 times I've forgotten to turn on my ventilation I've had no smell.  I also check my connections at the start of most sessions too, with a soap solution - make sure you wash it off though as it furs up metal. ;)

Kaz

Some people may have a very sensitive sense of smell - my DH tells me I do, so it could just be that?
I can only smell it when I have been for a walk to the shop and then go back in and it is not a horrid smell, just a bit weird like a warm swimming pool or recently bleached floor smell.
It really has been checked and double-checked and I have a CO detector (you would not be able to smell that anyway)
So I am not worried!
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

fionaess

Ok then, I admit I have an enquiring mind... so I tried to find out what the natural gas psi is when it goes into UK households..  nothing on the net, so I phone British Gas.  Well, I might have been asking them 'what is the meaning of life'  , they had no idea what I was talking about and recommended I phone Transco.  So, I phone Transco, and asked the same question, after a lot of being transferred I was finally told that it should be between 19 - 22 millibars.  Ok I said, thank you... Oh no, said the person I was speaking to.... I have to book you in for an engineers visit ??????  What ??  Well, since you phoned up about a gas problem we have to follow it up with an emergency engineers visit !!!!   I explained that I had no problem with my gas supply, I was just interested and asked a general question. That wasn't good enough for Transco, who insisted that an engineer had to be called out.  Then I was read the 'Gas Safety Rules'...
Did I smell gas, did any of my neighbours smell gas... (no, no)  I must turn off all electrical appliances, ensure there was adequate ventilation, and also ensure that any pets were safely contained !!!!!!!   I couldn't stop laughing during this... but was told that I had to have an emergency visit from a Transco engineer.  30 mins later he turned up !!!   So I had once again to go through my story, that I just wanted to know what pressure gas came into my house at .....  and there were no, none, had never been, any gas leaks.  Poor man, he looked very bemused.

Vicki

maybe transco should listen rather than read their wee book of rules :D

Diane

Oh Fiona - I am sorry you had so much trouble but thank you for trying to find out more for me - I do appreciate it. I won't bother trying to find out any more by 'phone. 
I must admit I do have a keen sense of smell - years ago they'd have sent me down the mines first instead of a canary!
Pardon the pun but this might have to go on the back burner for a while until we think about it a bit more. :-\ ::)
Thanks again for all your interest
Diane x

Tollgate-Debs

Just an idea - perhaps a call to CORGI, who regulate gas installation in the UK might result in better information. 

CORGI                                     
1 Elmwood                                           
Chineham Park
Crockford Lane
Basingstoke
Hampshire
RG24 8WG

Opening Hours
Monday to Thursday 9.00 to 5.30
Friday 9.00 to 5.00

Contact Numbers
General Reception -               0800 915 0480       
Membership enquiries & consumer advice -               0800 915 0485       

I'm sure they won't send out an engineer!

Debs :)

fionaess

Quote from: Diane on June 16, 2008, 06:53:17 PM
Oh Fiona - I am sorry you had so much trouble but thank you for trying to find out more for me - I do appreciate it. I won't bother trying to find out any more by 'phone. 
I must admit I do have a keen sense of smell - years ago they'd have sent me down the mines first instead of a canary!
Pardon the pun but this might have to go on the back burner for a while until we think about it a bit more. :-\ ::)
Thanks again for all your interest
Diane x
No worries Diane... I thought it was very amusing - I've checked out the nortel torches and yes, they do take natural gas. Its a really interesting proposition... gas on tap, and I am going to do more digging about it.

Sherry Bellamy

I use natural gas with my minor, and two concentrators. (It was three concentrators, but one of them has succumbed to old age.)

I'm on house pressure, and I have sufficient heat to make really large beads, etc. I'm pretty happy with it. I had to hire a licensed gas-fitter to do the install, and my cost was about $350. CDN.