Bethlehem Betta, Mega Minor or Bobcat (or miniCC)

Started by Jolanda, June 10, 2008, 08:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolanda

Hi all...

It has been a while since you heard from me, but i have been trying to spend my free time at the torch in stead of the computer (which is hard for me  ;))

I have a question for those of you who have been lucky enough to try out multiple torches...

I work on a regular Minor right now, with one oxygen concentrator which works fine for the things i have been doing until now: making small to medium sized beads...

Lately i found myself wanting to play with the glass a little more and i started making goddesses and mermaids...
I like this so much that i want to play with that a little more and my question is:

If i wanted to buy another torch, which i would like to have a wider, bushy flame (so it will be easier to keep my sculptures hot allover), but i still want it to run on a single concentrator... Which one would you choose???

firedinglass

I'm so pleased you asked this question  Jolanda because I was thinking along the same lines and also wondering whether to be thinking of another oxycon to link up in future. Sorry i haven't got the answers for you but can't wait to read all the expert advice I know is out there! :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Billie

I think torch discussions come up fairly regularly.  I know these three have been mentioned before.  Have you tried a search?

firedinglass

Hi Jolanda, i've been looking thru the archives and it would seem that the bobcat will run on 1 oxycon and be hotter than the minor but the lynx really needs 2 oxycon.  Also some people have problems with carbon build up with the bobcat.  I'm hoping for a stronger flame but still bushy like the minor so I can make bigger beads..... I think a little leap of faith might be needed in a choice  or I'll still be musing this time next year, Id be interested in what you decide, good luck :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Jolanda

Hi Billie,

I know the torches might have been mentioned before separately, but i was wondering how the flamecharacteristics compare to each other...

Another one to think about is the miniCC...

Josephine

I run a betta on one and I haven't had any problems making bigger beads. You can turn it up to give a bigger flame or right down to  very fine point. Haven't tried my boro yet but apparently it is has been specially designed to give good heat from an oxycon so should be fine.

Billie

Jolanda - how long a drive would it be for you to go to Glassworks in Belgium?  I had a drive over there back in.... think it was February so I could try two or three different torches.  I am also looking for the hottest, bushiest torch that will run on one oxycon.  I've been dithering between megaminor or betta, but hearing good things about the bobcat so like you I also have that in mind.

Jolanda

Glassworks is about 3,5 hours drive from my house, so that's pretty far...

I just got a message from someone who started on a Minor and now has a miniCC and that has a wider flame as well...