Anyone ever used an optic mould?

Started by LittleHen, June 08, 2008, 08:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleHen

I'm tempted to buy a optic mould as I really fancy having a go at making murrani or fancy filligrano stringers.  So has anyone had a go and does anyone have any tips.  I got a tutorial of the web today and it looks very tempting to practice these techniques to produce some fancy bead componants.
Jessie  ;)

LesleyMac

I have some homemade ones which are great but I did buy one and I find it too big for me.  You need loads of glass to fill the darn thing up.  With a bigger torch I might do better but I find it irritates me.

For homemade, get a small block of wood and bang in long nails, at least 3" long in a circle of the diameter you want, they need to lean outwards a bit (so the glass doesen't get stuck in there)  so either hammer them in at an angle or its easier if you just bend them slightly outwards when you are done.  Size of the circle dictates how much glass you need and the diameter of your murrini or whatever.  Damp it down before you use it though. YOu just push the glass in and et voila, great thing is you can have as many sizes as you like and its cheap.

I have seen a tut somewhere to make these but its about two years ago and I can't think where it is now, maybe someone else can remember?
Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)

My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196

Redhotsal

As what Lesley said but you don't need an optic mould to make murrine - they're probably too big anyway for most people starting out making murrine.
If you want to get the radiating star type of shape, just make a big gather on the end of a rod and then cut into it with a razor blade or a butter knife, so that you cut vertically to create a crease. Work your way all the way round and you'll get pretty much the same effect as you would with an optic mould.

LittleHen

I'm off to get long nails and a piece of wood....
I also had a good look at my lampworking books last night and saw loads of cool stuff I need to try when making murrani so I should be very happy for a long time before I ever need to spend money on an optic mould, thanks for the tips Lesley and Sally  ;D
Jessie  ;)